First time micing

MarkG

Feb 15, 2009
Netherlands
Title says it, I got an sm57 a while back and decided to have a go at micing. However, I'm having serious issues getting a tone I like from it. Started at the regular spot, and moved it around (very friggen annoying when alone, strumming and moving the thing).

This is what I came up with:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1010558/tonetest.mp3

Mic is about 1 inch from the grill, 0.5 inch from where the cone meets the dustcap, straight on.

Settings are Bass 10, lo/hi mid at 8, treble at 8, Presence on the mesa poweramp at 2. Master to 4.5, and preamp level at 3. Lead gain on 3, boosted by OD.

The ENGL settings are the ones fearcomplexmusic supposedly used in his ENGL videos, and they sound pretty badass here in the room.

Any advice? My ears are totally numb from the hours of riffing/moving. I am aware the mic position/eqing depends on the mix, but I'd like a ballpark to go from and I don't trust my ears at this point.

*edit*

Gear used: EMG81 in Schecter C1 classic, Bad Monkey OD, ENGLe530, Mesa50:50, Framus V30 2x12, M-audio Fasttrack Pro

Back it up a bit? Worth a shot. I kept it fairly close (1 inch) on purpose since the room is utter crap, very small with loads of shit everywhere. Was worried about it negatively affecting the recording.

Anything else?