Name your favorite intros

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
I'm a sucker for an epic sounding album or song intro. Two of my favorite intros are Overture and Sarajevo, which lead up to Savatage's This Is The Time. The intro to Blackjack Guillotine is also another personal favorite of mine.

Name some of your favorites.

A demo version of the Evanescence song Whisper (often called Whisper 2002). There's like a 2 minute intro with Juliet's Requiem" and "O Verona" from Romeo+Juliet. Thinking about it makes me want to listen to it. May need to stop by my parent's house to grab my ibook as it should still be on that.
The intros Haggard uses are always pretty interesting too.

The first 3 minutes of "End of Light" by Dreamscape
Overture 1928 by Dream Theater
"Morituri Te Salutant" and "Prelude of Souls" lead into "Innocent"- from Rage- Speak of the Dead

and of course, there is always one of the greatest intros ever......
Anarchy-X- Queensryche

Depends on how lazy i am at the time, if I let an intro play or just skip through it to the next song. I really don't feel strongly one way or another, right now of the top off my head, if I had to pick an intro that I remember that was actually worth remembering it would be either War of the Wrath by BG or Deliberately Limited Preliminary Prelude Period in Z by Helloween.

Bah, I can't stop sounding like a Helloween/Blind Guardian fanboy, oh well there are worse things to be accused of in this world I suppose.

I've just listened to these bands so much, it's the only thing that pops into my head instantly when I have to think about music that I really enjoyed.

I'm sure there are others I don't recall right away and only 5 days later when someone else mentions them I would be like "Oh yeah".

Huban Ku (or something to that effect) on Epica's consign to oblivion is awesome. of course blind guardian NIME intro. i like era of chaos on the pyramaze album legends of the bone carver as well, a little too much talking in it for me, buts its good. the opener to saxon's killing ground album is great as well, i forget the name of it thought.

I forget the name of the actual intro but its from Ancient Rite's Dim Carcosa album.

That shit is so epic it makes me crap my pants every time.

The cool thing about it is that it is very layered, with many different melodies interwoven together, if you listen to the album you will hear these melodies(separated) again in some of the songs. VERY well done.

Edit: the intro is called The Return, and like I said, a lot of the interwoven melodies on this intro are later used in some of the songs. Its very amazing..

Probably my all time fav is Master of Puppets. I just LOVE that intro. My son played that at a biker bar when he was 16, jamming with a local band. I also like Enter Sandman. Hetfield has written more great intros than anyone.

As far as Sava goes, I like Gutter Ballet. I also love the raw power of Disciples of the Lie by Iced Earth. Then, ya gotta love the old stanbys:

Smoke on the Water
Sweet Child O' Mine
Stairway to Heaven

Chris :headbang: