Name your favourite mix

Also, as much as I don't really like Marshall tones, I would say that I really like the production of "Dormant Heart" from Sylosis. Again, I don't know why, I am not a Marshall guy at all (and that's what they use if I'm not mistaken)... but there is something in this album that I find catchy tone-wise.

That is a very modded Marshall Josh uses, He has a video up on youtube talking about it. I agree that the production on this record is really quite good.

If I had to choose my favorites for the Metal genre it would be a four way tie,

Pantera Far Beyond Driven, Super unique and creative mix for the time that wouldnt sound as good applied to any other band and still sounds just as pissed off to me today

Machine Head The More Things Change, Ive liked other records they have done better but in terms of sonics this one really does it for me. Very analog sounding but each instrument has its own voice in the mix. Super cohesive.

Megadeth Endgame and KSE Alive or Just Breathing, both modern benchmarks for me.

Can't really pick one. It does a disservice to the thousands of mixes out there tailored specifically to their particular genres. Out of the rock/metal realm, some of my favourites over the years have been:

Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue
Soilwork - Stabbing the Drama
Korn - Untouchables
Architects - Lost Forever//Lost Together
Dead by April - Incomparable

I find as I get older I'm starting to prefer the glued, analogue-esque mixes with a certain flair, rather than ones that have been tetrised to perfection. Henrik's stuff is probably the one exception, because he manages to maintain a level of power that many ITB mixers lose.

+1 for this, or at least their latest album. I wouldn't say I liked the production on albums before "And death said live..."

Also, as much as I don't really like Marshall tones, I would say that I really like the production of "Dormant Heart" from Sylosis. Again, I don't know why, I am not a Marshall guy at all (and that's what they use if I'm not mistaken)... but there is something in this album that I find catchy tone-wise.

I don't like Marshall tones either but Josh Middleton really nailed a sweet tone down. Seeing some of his videos describing his amps was pretty interesting.

Can't really pick one. It does a disservice to the thousands of mixes out there tailored specifically to their particular genres. Out of the rock/metal realm, some of my favourites over the years have been:

Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue
Soilwork - Stabbing the Drama
Korn - Untouchables
Architects - Lost Forever//Lost Together
Dead by April - Incomparable

I find as I get older I'm starting to prefer the glued, analogue-esque mixes with a certain flair, rather than ones that have been tetrised to perfection. Henrik's stuff is probably the one exception, because he manages to maintain a level of power that many ITB mixers lose.

Some great albums here, Black gives way to Blue is one of my favourites both interms of production and songwriting.

I agree on the analogue-esque mixes, flair definitely plays an important part. For example, the mix on 'As the Palaces Burn' anniversary edition was technically better, but I still prefer the original. Sometimes the technical best is not necessarily the best.

yep that was me, thanks man
did you ever hear the hate eternal one I did as well?

Nope, I'd be interested to hear that! Feel free to pm me a link

Anyways, back to the thread, some of my other fav mixes in the more recent stuff :

Dead congregation - Graves of the archangels
Drowned - Idola specus
Undergang - Indhentet af doden
Instinct of survival - North of nowhere
Last couple of Ulcerate albums, all amazing

All round probably Erra Augment in terms of absolute perfection in balance and tone, favorite guitar (rhythm) and bass sound, perfect kick, snare, sonically beautiful cleans, powerful screams, perfectly EQ'd, perfect mix balance to my ears.

Honorable mentions are The Black Album cos its the most instantly recognizable sound in metal IMO. Alive or Just Breathing, Adam D defined the 2000s modern metal sound. Asking Alexandria - Reckless, the best Sturgis has done, defines the sound of Metal for the past 5 years.

Vibey mixes, SYL - Alien, just absolutely crazy. And also, maybe not quite metal but Steve Vai's Passion & Warfare is just lovely to listen to.

Testament - The Formation of Damnation
Exodus - The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A

freaking perfect stuff. Listening to the main riff in "as it was it soon shall be" song from this exodus
album just makes me nod to it with this idiotic duckface/clint eastwood hybrid kind of look on my face.. So bad ass!
The guitars just sound like they were played by king kong. On the testament album the highs of the guitars just sound
so beautiful.

If we're talking about metal, Gojira: The Way of All Flesh

One of my favorite mixes of all time has always been No Diggity by Blackstreet. Fucking stellar.

Gillian Welch's last record has a phenomenal mix, even though it's just two guitars and two singers.

I don't really listen to metal anymore so other things are coming to mind.

Alive or Just Breathing, Adam D defined the 2000s modern metal sound.

Vibey mixes, SYL - Alien, just absolutely crazy.

Didn't Andy mix Alive or Just Breathing?

And I've always loved Alien. Love is such a killer song!

Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh for me. Love everything about this album. Just turn up "The art of dying" and be blown away by that wall of sound :D

Also, im a big fan of Karnivool's Sound Awake and Underoath's Disambiguation

Gojira the way of all flesh is just perfect for me!
Also I really liked Thy art is murder Hate... That mix is just fucking brutal

Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh: talk about VIBE. Those drums...the latest album has an insane mix as well but maybe it's too polished and loses something compared to TWOAF.

Architects - Lost Forever Lost Together: perfect modern Metal mix.

Xerath - III: I've never heard an album with so many layers being so clear and huge at the same time.

Aborted - The Necrotic Manifesto: not exactly the best mix ever but imho the best extreme drums tones I've ever heard.

Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue: best sounding Rock album for me.

Slipknot - Iowa: VIBE.

Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal: dat snare.

first one that jumps to mind for me, was a Rammstein song, not even the whole album, but " B******** " from "Liebe ist für alle da" is just so well glued, it's just the metal version of "Beverly Hills" by Weezer for me. Palm muted verses, huge simple chorus, great guitars and drums. Not even a Rammstein fan but that mix is just great.

My favourite for metal has got to be Tool - 10000 Days. Absolutely killer guitar tones...

Also if you want to hear a perfect example of using FX on vocals listen to Vicarious, so beautifully done, the chorus gives me shivers every time.

Another more recent album with a killer mix is King 810 - Memoirs of a murderer, the vocals and guitars on the song state of nature sound awesome.

As for my favourite non-metal mix I'd definitely say Daft Punk - Random access memories.