Name your favourite mix

I'll list some:

Joey Sturgis - Born of Osiris: Machine. Love the production, lots of creative (over)editing and the finished product is heavy as balls and perfect for the music.

Andy Sneap - Testament: The Formation Of Damnation. Every aspect of the mix is absolutely clear, my personal favourite of Sneap's.

Colin Richardson - Machine Head: The Blackening. The best sounding album I have ever heard.

Misha/Nolly/Ermz - Periphery: Juggernaut. This is a favourite at the moment as it manages to sound modern and tight as hell but still sounds absolutely natural. I have no clue how they did this but it amazes me the sound they achieved.

Others worth noting are Metallica's Black Album, Steven Wilson's Raven, August Burns Red's Rescue And Restore (anyone know who mixed this one??) and Northlane's Singularity.

Falling in reverse - Fashionably late
Billy talent - Dead silence
All time low - Future hearts
Skillet - Awake

And the biggest mix of them all:

Nickelback - No fixed address

All by CLA
To this day no one even comes close.

Slipknot: Iowa. Not the most polished mix but holy mother of fuck does it represent the music PERFECTLY.
Alice in Chains: Black Gives Way to Blue, it sounds fucking massive.

And my absolute favourite... Karnivool's sound awake. Absolutely perfect in every way, from the general mix, to the production and every little layer of crazy noises. Incredible.

Exodus- Exhibit B
The whole album just rocks, and that guitar tone is perfection to my ears.

Death Angel- Relentless Retribution
The drums on this album are just so fun to listen to, they pop in a way few drum mixes do. Suecof did fine work here.

Symphony X- Iconoclast
So thick and chunky, and another killer guitar tone.

Nickelback- All the Right Reasons
While the music on this IMO is hit or miss, not really my thing anymore, the mix is perfect. I sometimes listen to Follow You Home just to listen to the production

Alice in Chains: Black Gives Way to Blue, it sounds fucking massive.

I'd love to agree with everyone on this but that mix is just TOO fucking compressed. The more I listen to it, the more harsh and squashed it sounds. Clipping and over saturation take it out of my absolute favorites.

As a record it's phenomenal and I absolutely adore AIC. But I think it's just too damn loud. Last Deftones record I had the same problem with. Audible distortion is just unacceptable at that level.

I think there's a less squashed version of that deftones album on one of those HDtracks sites. Worth checking out.

hard to pick one mix or even engineer. always a balance of a technically well balanced mix and artistically appropriate work. That's kind of where CLA's mixes fall down for me, technically amazing balance over the mix but it's a kind of brash, hyped, garish style. AM by Arctic Monkeys and RAM by Daft Punk are the 2 current releases I feel are pushing mixing into new territories. Incredible production and mixing work on both.

Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve
Extol - Extol
Living Sacrifice - Reborn

and Korn - Life Is Peachy - sue me

In terms of modern metal guitars I'd go with Arch Enemy War Eternal
For drums I love the snare on devil driver Pray for Villains, and drums in general in that album sound huge....

Also any of the latest testament records are in your face clear mixes IMO
and not forgetting endgame dat mix.

That being said from older metal releases I think Rust in Peace Guitar and bass tone it's the best, also Pantera got their great share in Far beyond driven

Out of the metal realm I do enjoy a lot of mariachi el bronx mixing not only their music but the way they processed the mexican traditional mariachi to sound punchy and clear, I hope a lot of mariachi singers in here do that with their musicians.

And Yanni live at Taj Mahal is a simply brilliant lovely mix

Unearth - Watchers of Rule
Thy Art Is Murder - Hate / Holy War

Not really a huge fan of deathcore but those Putney mixes just fucking slammmmmm.

I would say that as of the last year or so, my favorite has been the 2014 darkest hours release. Taylor Larson did an absolutely phenomenal job. It's super fat, super natural feeling, and full of absolute passion. Gives me chills every time.

Katatonia - Dead End Kings
Karnivool - Sound Awake
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Ihsahn - After
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
Slayer - God Hate Us All

My go to reference songs are:
Metal:
Periphery - The Bad Thing (killer mix and album, everything sounds massive, nice fat low end)
TwelveFootNinja - One Hand Killing (can't wait for the full album next year, killer drum sounds)

Rock:
ACDC - Black In Black (everything is balanced perfectly, not overhyped like modern stuff today)
Paramore - Misery Business (love the kick and snare)
Alice In Chains - A Looking In View (one word: massive)