Natural drums... Does this sound any good?

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Hey guys! A quick rundown. My old band decided to finish our second EP.. which never got finished some years ago, and so I thought.. HEY, this could be the first thing I engineer from start to finish... (Only ever mixed/ produced/ tracked... never all 3)

So, here is the drum mix so far. It's 100% replaced kick, that's a given.. The Snare is 20% replaced and then everything is natural... This isn't edited either, so hopefully that doesn't jade any thoughts. But hey, here's the sound I pulled from it, probably not great by you amazing sneapster standards, but it's definitely the best tone I've pulled from a natural kit that's for sure.

I'd love to hear some thoughts.

Cheers, the files are JUST drums, and drum in the mix: 320KPS MP3, otherwise it would be huge :p

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/306055/FractureAudio/DrumTest.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/306055/FractureAudio/DrumTestInMiz.mp3

Cheers dude!
Honestly... they were recorded in a lounge room :p
Sm57 on Snare Top, Toms 1 + 2, Audix D6 on Floor Tom, Overheads were some SE branded ones, can't remember the model. The Snare Bottom was a Rhode spot mic I believe...
And that's about it :)

Here's a pic of the setup! The snare got a fair bit of the bleed in it, that's the only reason there's any sampling going on, luckily we got some really nice samples of the snare on it's own XD
Photo%207-08-11%2010%2000%2049.jpeg

Cool stuff. Take it those tom skins worked out alright?

I'd maybe have lowered the overheads for a bit more isolation in a room like that, but they seem to sound alright from the clip. Good luck with the rest of the EP.

Cheers ermz. Yeah... Definitely came up much better this time around with these skins. In hindsight, wish we did something similar for the Orpheus album. Awwell, NEXT time :D

Yeah... I think as ermz said, could have dropped the overheads a bit more to get more isolation, the hats were not his normal hats either, like I always say, zildjian tends to be very abrasive and obnoxious. So bit fucked in that sense, doing my best now to notch them out a bit, hopefully with everything in the mix I'll have more to play with. Any other thoughts for this one as it is?