Natural side chain compression?!?!

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Or maybe not. But I experienced something quite similar to side chain compression the other day.

Working in a steel processing factory. There was a clearly audible sound of compressed air/shop air running through sections of machinery. A fellow worked started using the overhead crane, which makes the loud warning "BEEP BEEP", like a backup/reverse beeper on a truck.

The "beeps" cut through the sound of the compressed air and I could hear the "pumping" between each beep when the sound of the air rose back up (or in reality, the volume stayed the same.).

Sorry if this sounds retarded, but it was the first time I experienced something like this. Any smart peeps out there have a more technical explanation for this? Or is it literally just a loud sound gettin drowned out by a louder sound, and the pumping is just my ears readjusting?

Jup, our ears have a naturally built in gain control, that gets triggered more by mid and high frequencies :) So it makes sense that the higherpitched noise you describe drowns out the lower noise, just like with a compressor. The peculiar shape of the Fletcher-Munson curve has a lot to do with this natural compression behaviour of our ears.

I once read an interesting researchpaper on this, but ofcourse it's nowhere to be found now. I found another article with some interesting tidbits though. Enjoy: http://www.customanalogue.com/elsinore/elsinore_16.htm