modern oldschool (Krank, Outboard, Real Drums)

thanks everyone.
yeah, I'll have another look into the bass, just fear to lose some of the very big bottomend.
the click was meant to be really clicky/pantera, but I agree, I would have liked to make ait a bit bigger in places myself I think.

Yep, WASP and Megadeth was what I was thinking ;)

This mix is really rockin'

Take the vocals down a bit and compress the room microphones a bit more. Bringing the overheads down and hats up a tiny bit like Morgan said. It would rock.

I absolutely LOVE the sense of space in this mix that you've done. It's definitely one of the most "real" and cohesive mixes I've ever heard on this forum, and that I've heard in metal music for a LONG while.

I'm with Ermz on that the kick is a bit "modern" sounding.

yeah, Toms had pinstripes on them, so I had to reduce quite some 250-400 and boost loads of 4-6k to make them cut, that took away from the body a bit of course.
I'll lower the OH a bit, I agree that they're a tad to in your face

Really diging the fact you didn't use ton of gain with guitars, you can hear this crunchyness with the tone. Oldschool vibe but modern sounding.
As usual, good mix with lot of character, great job;)

this is brilliant, my fave type of music and i love the way it sounds modern but still keeps and oldschool feel.

i like it lasse, my only gripe is the digital sounding/very clicky top end on the kick (that could be down to the mp3 encoding though, as it's something i know from some mp3s, bt i see its at 320k :-s ), and like the rest of the guys have said, some more low end beef in it, it seems to stick out like a sore thumb in comparison with the rest of the kit. Like the guitar tonezz though, really big and smooth, but still have their grit.

this is brilliant, my fave type of music and i love the way it sounds modern but still keeps and oldschool feel.

+2

Sounds fantastic on my Grado Rs-1s - especially liked the vocals coming in on the right side around 4.05, really nice!

thanks everyone.
yep, Pantera was the reference for the kick, and to make a natural kick cut like that it needs tons of 6-10k and massive amounts of scooping 250.
I'm fine with it as long as the whole mix has enough lowend though.

Damn, I really love kranks for this gritty oldschool type of sounds with a more modern attitude (The Übercab also really helped with that).

thanks for commenting!

I'll post another song soon

Sounds awesome :) Did you you use allot of samples?? You could use a little more mids in the toms to make them glue better to the rest of the drums. But sounds really awesome and its compressed really nice. Good Job!!

Sounds awesome :) Did you you use allot of samples?? You could use a little more mids in the toms to make them glue better to the rest of the drums. But sounds really awesome and its compressed really nice. Good Job!!

nope, all natural drums...a tiny bit of Sample belended in with the kick for consistency (about 30-40% I'd say).
rest is all natural...the toms had Pinstripes unfortunately (I prefer emperor usually), so I had to scoop loads of low mids to make them cut (pinstripe are rather dull sounding skins), without scooping those mids the toms wouldn't have cut through the mix.

Ok cool, i was just listening through headphones can imagine that the toms sounds awesome in a stereo :)

well, they COULD use a bit more body perhas, but I had to deal with what I got and I didn't wanna use samples....at least they cut ;)
nah, actually this is matching the bands description of how they wanted the drums to sound...clicky ;)

Yeah i was talking about perhaps 3db's around 500-700hz dont think they will be clouded in the mix. But still it sounds awesome. Im not even clicking on the SLATE sample thread anymore, plain boring if you ask me so its always nice to hear a mix without any samples. My latest work is also sample free :) and i think it turned out nicely