oldschool (modern?) Deathmeatal...untypical mix

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
just working on this band and they want a kinda Cannibal Copse sound (guitars) with modern drums.

well....I think the guitars have something of that CC thing going on....
doesn't really match my taste...actually I don't really like it......but then again I don't like the Cannibal Corpse mixes either.

please don't compare the sounds to Despised Icon etc...it's not meant to sound like that, put it in the correct setting.
I know for example that the guits are overgained, but so are the CC guits:

http://lsd-tonstudio.de/sounds/TheSkinner.mp3

first roughmix, no automation etc yet

always difficult to try to achieve a sound that you don't like

I think it sounds pretty cool actually and matching sounds with the band's style is off course a good thing to do. Too many metal bands sound alike these days.

BTW I thought you quite liked this tone when you first discovered it?

I think it sounds pretty cool actually and matching sounds with the band's style is off course a good thing to do. Too many metal bands sound alike these days.

BTW I thought you quite liked this tone when you first discovered it?

well...
I still kinda like it for this style.,,,I'm actually surprised how good the pedal/amp/box combination fits this kind of music.
I just prefer other sounds myself/for my own stuff

ah ok. I'm not that surprised actually I've seen some bands achieve quite nice tones with metal zones in front of a JCM 800s and other tube amps. I think the pedal got its bad name from people who push the distortion and treble up to get that nasty thin and scratchy sound especially when combined with solid state and modelling amps. But this tone is definitely great, as is the mix (as always ;))

Hmmmm I think, it also has a nice Obituary vibe... Aaaaargh I love the part beginning at 1:41..certainly it reminds of CC.

I like the overall sound..oldschoolish and brutal! It´s really different in comparison with some modern and defined guitarsounds. Refreshingly.

Haha, i know what you mean Lasse.. but for what they seek, it sounds good! it has CC vibe, maybe even scoop the guitars a bit in the mid department and up the vocals a bit?
Sounds brutal to me.

It's a great sound, but their riffs don't do it justice. I'd love to jam some fatass riffs with that sound. Now if a dual rec didn't cost as much as a small apartment building..

EDIT: Actually, the more I'm listening to it I'm finding that I really love this sound! This is pro quality DM tonez.

Fucking love it Lasse, I definitely get the old school vibe from it; I feel it's got a bit too much going on around 200 (in the mud range), so thinning it out just a bit would help IMO, but otherwise perfect!

Very nice !

Not for my kind of tone but still it fits the music and i like the CC/MC stuff !!!

Though i feel the CC guitars sound a bit more edgy (i mean grittier) than the tone you achieved. Maybe it has something to do with the playing too i guess (picking like a motherfucker helps IMO), or some of the mids that have to be cut a tad. Those guitars of yours sound fatter and with more body than the CCs ones that are a tad thinner, edgier and drier (and got more grit in the end).

Very nice !

Not for my kind of tone but still it fits the music and i like the CC/MC stuff !!!

Though i feel the CC guitars sound a bit more edgy (i mean grittier) than the tone you achieved. Maybe it has something to do with the playing too i guess (picking like a motherfucker helps IMO), or some of the mids that have to be cut a tad. Those guitars of yours sound fatter and with more body than the CCs ones that are a tad thinner, edgier and drier (and got more grit in the end).

thanks.
yep, wasn't really trying to copy the CC tone, just the general feel...I usually like to give every band their own sound, but I gotta work from the given references to some degree.

that and there is no CC tone that's the same every time..the tone on their albums is really different sometimes (for ex "kill" compared to "gore obsessed" ...or all the others ;)

the guitars always have the same brutal raw but a bit undefined sound....that was the feel I was going for.

the low-mids etc actually come from the bassguitar that needs to be thinned out a bit

thanks.
yep, wasn't really trying to copy the CC tone, just the general feel...I usually like to give every band their own sound, but I gotta work from the given references to some degree.

that and there is no CC tone that's the same every time..the tone on their albums is really different sometimes (for ex "kill" compared to "gore obsessed" ...or all the others ;)

the guitars always have the same brutal raw but a bit undefined sound....that was the feel I was going for.

the low-mids etc actually come from the bassguitar that needs to be thinned out a bit

Ok then you succeeded i guess !

Congrats !

thanks.

Yeah, I was thinking it might be the bass - and sorry Djab, this tone is absolutely perfect, IMO 100% accuracy to something that sounds like assholes is not a desirable thing! :heh:

thanks.

Super guitar tone bro!!! When I have listen it my head is fucking out with the headbanging. What do you use for the guitar tone? Real guitar o simulation?

Even though it's not my style I really like the mix and the fatness of the tone. I showed this a friend of mine and he (CC fanboy :loco:) nearly freaked out hearing how close you got with the mix... :headbang:

thanks alot..
guitar was Customshop Washburn Dime3 with 18V Emg81-->Metalzone-->Recto-->Marshall 4x12-->2xsm57-->Api.

HP/LP@ 60/11k and a tiny notch around 3k (the marshall sometimes needs that)