female fronted...roughmix (5150, krank, engl)

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
here's a first roughmix of a band I'm working on atm...

I'm kinda pleased with her higher (classically trained) voice....don't really like her "normal" voice in the verses though....anyway, I can't really change that, so tell me about the mix ;)

Female Metal

no automation etc yet...just a roughmix

I think her voice sounds flat most the time .She needs some pitch correction and the keyboards and guitars are too loud for that style of music. just my opinion.

I liked the song, the mix sound good to me... not perfect, but very good. What reverb are you using for the female vocal? I'm struggling with some female vocals myself.

She is singing flat at times..will you pitch correct or just leave it as it is? Guitar tone is great, very tight, fantastic crunch but doesnt seem to sit in the mix..but i guess this is still rough ie. without the final "glue"??

I'm listening it through headphones (AKG K701) and it seems to me like the vocals get lost in the mix, they should be louder...or the guitars quieter... not sure which...
Agree with the others that the vocals would benefit from some pitch correction.

Sounds great Lasse. The singer kind of reminds me of the new singer of Nightwish (don't recall her name at the moment). I know it's just a rough mix, but beside what's been said already, are you going to thin out the keys a little with some EQ (that low mid area)? I love keys in metal, but to me they sound just a little too full at the moment.

I wish my rough mixes were as good as this. :)

just slightly updated the mix:

Update

I just did a quick "pseudomaster" since I won't be the one doing the mastering in the end.....I went a bit overboard with the bassboost on the palmmutes, so it's a bit boomy etc...ignore that ;)

Sounds even better now! I thought the previous version was pretty good, but everything sounds more clear on this latest version. Did you thin out the keys just a tad, or are my ears really screwing with me (they're really giving me hell at the moment)?

Sounds even better now! I thought the previous version was pretty good, but everything sounds more clear on this latest version. Did you thin out the keys just a tad, or are my ears really screwing with me (they're really giving me hell at the moment)?

keys thinner, vox louder, guits soofter, dropped the samples on the drums

Love it! Is this still a "rough mix" (pfff...wish my final mixes were as good as your rough mixes ;) ), still tracking some parts to this, or is this pretty close to the final mix?

Love it! Is this still a "rough mix" (pfff...wish my final mixes were as good as your rough mixes ;) ), still tracking some parts to this, or is this pretty close to the final mix?

thanks..
getting closer..
I'm still not satisfied with how the instruments fall into their places (or rather...how they don't),...so I might change some levels, automate stuff etc...don't wanna change the sounds of the single instruments too much though)....so the sound of the separate tracks is close to final..the final master will still sound different though, I'll post something as soon as I get the master back from the mastering engineer.....

thanks for commenting!