Neck/bridge pickups

Ok, in my somewhat limited experience, for what I play (doom, gothic, or melodic death metal), I have always found the bridge pickup best, whether for lead or rhythm, as it has a clearer, crisper sound and the neck pickup always sounds a bit too soft and smooth to me, for lack of better terminology. Occasionally I might use it for clean tones but that's about it.

However, I only use stock pickups, and was thinking about getting some new ones, eg. an EMG 81/85 pair. When I looked at the EMG site it talks about putting an EMG 85 as the rhythm pickup in the neck position, yet I would never play metal rhythm on a neck pickup because it inevitably sounds muddy - great if I want an early Black Sabbath or Cathedral sound but useless for anything else. To complicate matters my Les Paul has the neck pickup marked as 'rhythm' - I had figured this was just a throwback to when rhythm was mainly clean strummed chords, but with the implications on the EMG site too, I'm not so sure now.

So I'm a little concerned that, at best, I might find the 85 in the neck going to waste, and at worst, the 81 might push my crisp rhythm bridge sound more towards a lead sound too. To put it another way, I worry that the bridge pickup is going to end up sounding more like the neck pickup than it does now, which I don't want, and the neck pickup is going to sound a little more like the bridge pickup but not enough to be useful.

Does anybody know what I mean? Am I making any sense? :)

Would I perhaps just be better off getting an 85 on its own and putting it in the bridge? Or perhaps a Dimebucker there instead? I've looked back through a few threads and people have subjective opinions on what they like or don't like but it's hard to see what would be best for the styles I play.

PS. Sorry about the double post. It timed out during posting the first time. Now the board is steadfastly refusing to let me delete the other post.

I have an 85 in the bridge and neck, and it sounds great in both positions, however the 81 sounds cleaner and brighter in the bridge than the 85...the whole 81bridge/85nech combo sounds really good IMO...

most (nearly all) metal-guitarists normally use their bridge-PUs for rythm. the neck-PU usually sounds somewhat warmer, softer, bassier which is why those are often used for clean stuff or some solo-parts (and why they tend to get muddy under distortion).

Silver Incubus said:
I play 85 bridge 81 neck and I think it sounds better that way.

I've heard that the 81 sounds good in the neck...I have 707s in both, and i know EMG recently came out with the 81 for the 7 string, and wanted to throw that in and see how it sounded...I know the 707(basically the 85 for a 7 string) sounds beefy in the bridge

EMG just say 85 for 'Rhythm' position because (as you say) the neck position has historically been called the 'rhythm' position and it kind of stuck. Using the bridge position for rhythm sounds is the norm in metal (hence some single-pickup guitars), but that being said the neck pickup shouldn't go to waste with its uses in leads, solos and cleans. An 85 is a good choice for the bridge but you'd need another active pickup in the neck to be able to use them both properly (there are ways around this but all-active or all-passive is best). If you can afford it i'd go for the 81/85 pair and then you can swap the positions to see which you prefer.