EMG pickups

Break Zero

Thrasher
Feb 5, 2003
I own an ESP/ltd. F400FM, and when I got the guitar, it came with a pair of EMG 81s. I found that I didn't like the sound of the 81 all that much in the bridge (and honestly never used it enough in the neck to know better), so I switched them out for a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge and Humbucker From Hell in the neck.
FAst foward to today. While I like the Humbucker From Hell in the neck (especially since I got a coil-splitter installed, so split, it sounds almost acoustic), I'm finding the X2N to be much too muddy. After talking to some people, I've decided to go back to EMGs.
Now, I play mostly Thrash in standard tuning (Megadeth, Exodus, Vio-lence, old Sepultura, Suicidal Tendencies, Sabbat), but with a bit of a Progressive element (a la Fates Warning (mostly from Awaken The Guardian to Perfect Symmetry), Queensryche, Dream Theater, etc.). I'm want something heavy, but can still be heard clearly.
So, from clips I've heard, I've decided on an EMG 85 in the bridge. However, I started reading about the 89, and it sounds of interest (plus I already have a coil splitter in my guitar). I have also heard of people likeing the 85 in the bridge, 81 in the neck.
So, which of these would be a good combination?

85 bridge, 89 neck
89 bridge, 81 neck
dual 89s

I am mostly a rhythm guitarist and I have an 85 bridge, 81 neck set-up. I haven't tried the 89, but the 85 gets a lot of beef in the bridge and still sounds tight. The 81 has nice attack but no balls...it works good for me in the neck though since the neck position tends to sound muddy and the 81 can give it a good attack. I do not use the neck too often though.

yeah, I had the 81 (bridge) and 85 (neck) set up. but never used the 85 because I just didnt like it. So I had a custom pickguard made and only use the 81.
guitarV.jpg

i got emgHZ's with a 20 db gain boost switch, they may not be the greatest but they get the job done

lycanthropyhowl said:
i got emgHZ's with a 20 db gain boost switch, they may not be the greatest but they get the job done

Had that on my F200 (which has since been sold). Alright, but passive doesn't seem to be EMGs strong point

I have a 81 89 setup. I like the sound of the 81 for both rhythm and lead. The 89 is phonomenal at least I really like it. You can get some Yngwie shred type sounds in the double-coil part with some distortion.
My favorite thing to do with it though is get a bluesy distortion and put it on the single-coil. I can get sounds like Stevie Ray Vaughn and Hendrix that way.
I've never played the 85 though. I've heard though that the 89's double-coil sounds a lot like it and with the added single-coil thing, you can't go wrong.

Like someone said above, you might look into Seymour Duncans. Also, I've been on one forum where everyone there pretty much unanimously says that Bare Knuckle pickups own EMG's hands down. I haven't tried them but they sound interesting.
Link

LightningLixxx said:
I have a 81 89 setup. I like the sound of the 81 for both rhythm and lead. The 89 is phonomenal at least I really like it. You can get some Yngwie shred type sounds in the double-coil part with some distortion.
My favorite thing to do with it though is get a bluesy distortion and put it on the single-coil. I can get sounds like Stevie Ray Vaughn and Hendrix that way.
I've never played the 85 though. I've heard though that the 89's double-coil sounds a lot like it and with the added single-coil thing, you can't go wrong.

I'm thinking this combination, only 89 in the bridge and 81 in the neck

the X2N is a really cool pickup, but I also think it has a bit of a muddy spot for faster rythm-stuff (I have an X2N in one of my guitars). I think that it sounds pretty damn good for leads though.
I ended up preferring the Duncan Dimebucker because it has less gain, sounds more agressive and is tighter (I'm mainly a rythm-player). but now I'm trying out PUs again as I switched to 7 strings and there isnt a 7-string Dimebucker lol (and a custom made one would cost me some 400$ without shipping ;) )

Break Zero said:
So, from clips I've heard, I've decided on an EMG 85 in the bridge. However, I started reading about the 89, and it sounds of interest (plus I already have a coil splitter in my guitar). I have also heard of people likeing the 85 in the bridge, 81 in the neck.
So, which of these would be a good combination?

85 bridge, 89 neck
89 bridge, 81 neck
dual 89s

Use the 85 if it sounds good to you. If you were a millionaire, you would just about go broke trying to find "the right" pickup for you. Every guitar has a "sweet spot" and every pickup (including active) amplifies the notes at a little different volume and colour. When you change pickups, you have to give yourself time to find it's strengths and weaknesses.
The advantage of the EMG 81 is the high output and flat frequency responce. Many players play 81's in the studio, but many more play passives in the studio, but use the 81 live so to keep their volume level consistant and keep them from "drowning out" etc.
Having said that, oldschool thrash made it's living from 81's. My favorite guitarist, Wolff Hoffmann used the 81's as well, but more live, not as much in the studio. Dimarzio was also a big hit in that era.

Look.... I can ramble on, but think about when you changed a stereo system or to a different car with a different stereo. It took adjusting to and it took a little bit. Give your ears time to adjust to your pick-ups. If you aren't happy ater a couple of months, change it.

Bryant