Replacing Pickups question

Break Zero

Thrasher
Feb 5, 2003
I am currently using an ESP/ltd. F400FM, and it comes stock with EMG 81s. But I am now considering replacing them with a Dimarzio X2N and either a ToneZone, Super2, or PAF Pro. I was wondering, what modifications would I have to make for the guitar? For example, it comes with a 3 way switch, so will I have to have a 5 way switch put in? And anything like that.

Also, what would be a good pickup to compliment the X2N that I can put in the neck position?

I have never actually installed new pickups on my guitar by myself, but I think I at least have an idea about how to do so. However, you are going to passive, whereas I was going to active. But anyways, I think that the pots that you currently have are designed for high output humbuckers, so chances are you will end up having to gut your current electronics completely, and you will just need a 3 way selector switch since you will still be using two humbuckers, and you will probably need a new jack, even if you don't, just do it anyways to make it even more simple of a process. It should be a pretty easy task since there's no hard-wiring involved, it should all be from scratch, just as if you are building a brand new guitar. I could be wrong, but it seems right to me.

You'll have to change the pots. EMGs use 25K and passive humbuckers should use 500K. The jack has to come off too, I think, since EMGs use a stereo jack to disconnect the power when a cable isn't inserted. You'll only need a 5-way switch if you want to split the humbuckers and use combinations of one coil in each pickup (or whatever other wiring option you may choose).

I would go with the X2N, I just put one in my axe and it totally rocks!!. I suggest doing a search to see if any more powerful humbucker exists, the X2N output is 510mv. I wired it in the "dual-sound" configuration and even though I only have one in the bridge position, the whole character of my guitar is different. It now has a ultra-powerful punch with excellent overdrive and sustain, I have also noticed that harmonics ring better and are way easy to bring out.

Class of '85 said:
I suggest doing a search to see if any more powerful humbucker exists, the X2N output is 510mv.

Surely the X2N is the most powerful passive...But I do know of the most powerful active, and hell no, it is not EMG 81/85...Seymour Duncan Live Wire Heavy Metal, such high output, they don't even show the rating...But then there's a couple things that aren't so great about it:
1. Distorts on clean
2. Two 9 volt batteries
Other than that...it's the best thing that ever happened to me. But some day, I am definitely going to check out the X2N, from what I have heard from so many people, it is just friggen amazing.

Break Zero said:
I heard the X2N distorts on clean. Is this true?
No, it's totally clean. I have tried every setting I can come up with and it simply does everything that all my other pickups couldn't. If you crank up the lead channel it overdrives beautifully and on clean it's amazingly clear. I'm going to buy six more and stash them away for future axes.

Don't forget that depends on the clean headroom of your amp. If your amp breaks up early, you can bet the X2N will distort a bit. One of my single coils (active) makes the clean channel on my JCM800 distort a little, so it really depends on your rig.

Alright, last question: What would be a good pickup to put in the neck position? I'm thinking of either a ToneZone, Super2, or PAF Pro. Any suggestions?

i like a humbucker from hell in the neck gives a great sound

its supposed to sound like a single coil in a humbucker, so it cancels out the 60 cycle hum. it gets pretty close, but of course its not a single coil, and the sound it produces IMO is amazing

its a pretty cool pick up

Actually, Humbucker From Hell sounds like a good idea. X2N for all my distorted rhythm and leads (i play mostly Thrash and some Sludge), and Humbucker From Hell for all the cleans... Could possibly work.