Necrophagist kick?

Nov 6, 2006
Taylor, MI
Im new to this forum and im trying to mix up something for you guys to critique and i cant get the right bass drum sound. Im looking for something like Epitaph's kick drum anyone have a sample?

Olala,

i was not here for weeks (or even moths)! But better late then never LOL! Well, if there are other topics like this one - maybe someone could let me know.

I tracked and mixed Epitaph quite natural. I used an SM57 and an RE20 for each kick, carefully positioned. The RE20 not too close to the beater will give you that *bopp* wich might not sound "metal" at first. But if you blend that with the attack of the 57 it will get better.

Later in the Mix i used the mic tracks but blended samples of course, all samples i use are made by myself. Allways. Usually from the drumkit and the recording itself. I like to do it *way too complex* - that means i sometimes end up with about 10 tracks of kickdrum, (when dealing with 2x kick). Needs allways some time to come to an result wich sounds NOT like shit, but you can be shure to have a sound wich is unique, even if you might end up with something wich sounds "like heard bevore" because you allways work until it fits to your personal taste.

It's not "the" sample. (i can tell you - the samples/mictracks are sounding not very evil). It's the way you work with them in the mix. And i never used just "one" sample. I am not after the sound of a machine gun.

In that particular case i used a BIG amount of the room-mic to model the kick. Quite uncommon for metal, i know - but in that case i did it. Stereo Room Mic. Quite close to the drumkit.

I think that drumsound might work in a jazz/fusion scenario (but with little more moderate playing ;-) as well.

HTH,
brandy

Reactions: KnifeVariable
Olala,

Later in the Mix i used the mic tracks but blended samples of course, all samples i use are made by myself. Allways. Usually from the drumkit and the recording itself. I like to do it *way too complex* - that means i sometimes end up with about 10 tracks of kickdrum, (when dealing with 2x kick). Needs allways some time to come to an result wich sounds NOT like shit, but you can be shure to have a sound wich is unique, even if you might end up with something wich sounds "like heard bevore" because you allways work until it fits to your personal taste.

Appreciate the breakdown! but if ya got some time i would love to know more on your sample technique.

dude great job on that album......I listen to it alot
Olala,

i was not here for weeks (or even moths)! But better late then never LOL! Well, if there are other topics like this one - maybe someone could let me know.

I tracked and mixed Epitaph quite natural. I used an SM57 and an RE20 for each kick, carefully positioned. The RE20 not too close to the beater will give you that *bopp* wich might not sound "metal" at first. But if you blend that with the attack of the 57 it will get better.

It's not "the" sample. (i can tell you - the samples/mictracks are sounding not very evil). It's the way you work with them in the mix. And i never used just "one" sample. I am not after the sound of a machine gun.

In that particular case i used a BIG amount of the room-mic to model the kick. Quite uncommon for metal, i know - but in that case i did it. Stereo Room Mic. Quite close to the drumkit.

I think that drumsound might work in a jazz/fusion scenario (but with little more moderate playing ;-) as well.

HTH,
brandy

Of course both mics were inside :)

It is possible as well to mount the 57 outside (close to the beater) but then you might have to flip phase as well as the snare and hihat bleed would increase. When doing jazz and/or you have a kick without a whole this is the way to go. You can use 421 or even a D112 as well for that task. I would prefer a 421 for that task actualy. I just don't have 2x 421 ;-)).

I once was able to use the "beater" mic (outside, closed kick) to bring up the ambience of the snare a lot LOL

I just don't like that "i have a cool sample and i use it on every record" approach. Even when alternative techniques will need more time with an "not allways 100% ultrafat" result. But its more individual.

brandy