Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefaction - 9/10

Hell Awaits Us All

New Metal Member
Oct 22, 2006
Killing You
I think this is a great technical death metal album. There are alot of very engaging melodies to go along with pounding drums and a solid vocal performance by suicmez. Every song is pretty solid, but my favorite is "advanced corpse tumor" for that unbelievable solo starting around 2:20. The computer programmed drums do a fantastic job keeping things varied, some blasting but it is tastefully executed. The riffs are well done, very technical while still remaining somewhat controlled and heavy, and suicmez's neoclassical leads and solos are sometimes over the top but very entertaining nonetheless. The album is incredibly catchy; it's almost impossible not to get "mutilate the stillborn" and "intenstinal incubation" stuck in your head for days. The only negative for the album in my view is that it is somewhat cold and lacking in emotion, but there are still plenty of memorable songs on here.

There's my first (shitty) attempt at a review :erk: :lol:

Hey man that wasn't shitty, I found it to be pretty good :) I totally agree with you on every aspect. This album is one of my all time favourites but I feel Epitaph was a great improvement. I may attempt my own review of Epitaph in follow up to this review.

Heartless, emotionless death metal wankage to the max. Skip it.

Advanced Corpse Tumor's and Fermented Offal Discharge's solos are the pinnacle of emotion in music. You don't receive emotion from it because your ears can doubtfully pick up the simplest harmonic minor melody. 'wanking' would imply that there weren't the carefully crafted harmonies and arpeggios producing feeling unreplicated at lower speeds

Good tech death.

Really enjoy this and Epitaph when in the mood for this style, alone with the Obscura album :D

nice review, undieable album. still blowing my mind every time I play it.

To be honest, I find Onset of Putrifaction to much better than Epitaph...Stabwound is the only real highlight from Epitaph IMO