Need a Computer and Audio Interface

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
In my current studio I only have 1 mic (SM57), a Tascam mixer (which I use as a pre-amp), my instruments (guitar and amp, drum set, keyboard, etc.), and my computer.

I have made (composed, recorded, produced) an album of my one-man band by using my SM57 to mic my guitar cab and do vocals, plugged a bass direct into the Tascam mixer, and used either samples or my keyboard for drums. The SM57 is plugged into the mixer, which is plugged into the line-in of my computer. Surprisingly, I have gotten some great sounding stuff using my 6-year old Dell and stock soundcard (its an SB Live! card). People often compliment my sound, and it's funny to think what equipment I'm using. However, I feel like it is time for an upgrade, and I want to be able to record a drum set (with more than 1 mic).

So here's the deal. I'm going to be buying a bunch of mics, an audio interface, and a new computer. We can leave the mics aside for now. I may get a drum mic package, but I'm not certain yet.

I need an audio interface with probably at least 12 inputs which have pre-amps. Any suggestions? It also needs headphone-outs, or is there some work-around this?

What are the minimum specs I should be looking for in a new computer? I want to be able to record at least 8 tracks simultaneously. Also, I think I'm looking at PCs rather than Macs, as I feel Macs are overpriced, and I may be using this computer for more than just audio.
It's cheaper to build my own computer than buy a built one, right? Where do I buy the parts? Newegg?
What type of sound card do I need? Does an audio interface replace a soundcard?

Thanks a lot

Not sure what your budget is, but my PC is built and has the same features as a computer that would sell for $3000, but I paid about $600 for all the parts. Definitely the way to go if you aren't having your computer as a designated music production computer.

If you can afford it, grab a dualcore or even a quadcore processor. Those suckers are the shit. Also I'd probably get 1gig of RAM. Also make sure your hard drive is 7200-RPM or higher.

Audio interface... I'd either grab a MOTU or a Firepod (the latter being the cheaper of the 2, but it still performs really well).

In my current studio I only have 1 mic (SM57), a Tascam mixer (which I use as a pre-amp), my instruments (guitar and amp, drum set, keyboard, etc.), and my computer.

I have made (composed, recorded, produced) an album of my one-man band by using my SM57 to mic my guitar cab and do vocals, plugged a bass direct into the Tascam mixer, and used either samples or my keyboard for drums. The SM57 is plugged into the mixer, which is plugged into the line-in of my computer. Surprisingly, I have gotten some great sounding stuff using my 6-year old Dell and stock soundcard (its an SB Live! card). People often compliment my sound, and it's funny to think what equipment I'm using. However, I feel like it is time for an upgrade, and I want to be able to record a drum set (with more than 1 mic).

So here's the deal. I'm going to be buying a bunch of mics, an audio interface, and a new computer. We can leave the mics aside for now. I may get a drum mic package, but I'm not certain yet.

I need an audio interface with probably at least 12 inputs which have pre-amps. Any suggestions? It also needs headphone-outs, or is there some work-around this?

What are the minimum specs I should be looking for in a new computer? I want to be able to record at least 8 tracks simultaneously. Also, I think I'm looking at PCs rather than Macs, as I feel Macs are overpriced, and I may be using this computer for more than just audio.
It's cheaper to build my own computer than buy a built one, right? Where do I buy the parts? Newegg?
What type of sound card do I need? Does an audio interface replace a soundcard?

Thanks a lot

-You aren't going to get an interface that has 12 of the same kind of inputs... at least to my knowledge.

-Get something that is at least 3.0ghz processor if its a single. Dual would be better. Quad would make your life easy. If it's a PC, don't use it for anything other than audio... unless you have the greatest anti virus/spy ware/internet security.

-Newegg = :headbang:

-I would suggest a MOTU 896HD interface... or RME Fireface 800... just from my personal experience.

-Also... the interface has a lot to do with what DAW (program) you plan on using. If you want to use ProTools... I would suggest getting the Digi002Rack... but then again... it all depends on how much money you have.

You could try one of these: Alesis IO 26

I've heard a few people say they like the preamps and that the converters are decent. It's quite a good value, considering how much you get for only $400.

With this, you could afford to buy another 8-channel preamp with ADAT out which would give you 16 preamps, and it would still be under a grand.

You're not going to achieve stellar quality at this price point, but you can definitely make some very good sounding productions with it.

my PC is built and has the same features as a computer that would sell for $3000, but I paid about $600 for all the parts.

You're exaggerating a lil' bit. $3k for $600 ain't happening - at least with all new parts anyway. Tack on a couple hundred more and it'll make more sense...

You could try one of these: Alesis IO 26

I've heard a few people say they like the preamps and that the converters are decent. It's quite a good value, considering how much you get for only $400.

With this, you could afford to buy another 8-channel preamp with ADAT out which would give you 16 preamps, and it would still be under a grand.

You're not going to achieve stellar quality at this price point, but you can definitely make some very good sounding productions with it.
Considering that I have gotten awesome results with minimal equipment, an upgrade probably WILL make my stuff sound stellar. Then again, maybe my ears suck :lol:

What exactly are converters? ADAT?

The Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i/o is unbeatable in the $600-$700 price range. I have one and it's THE SHIT. It kicks major ass. And it also has TWO headphone outs.

As far as computers go, I'll echo the other responses and say definitely go for the duals. If you can afford it, make sure that the processor has a 2x 1mb L2 cache instead of 512 x 2. SATA drives with at least 7200rpm (10k is tops) and a 16mb cache is a near necessity. At least 1gb of DDR2 (pc800) is definitely a must. Try to get a mobo with fast pipes and integrated 1394. That way you can add a 1394 pci card and have them on separate busses to avoid conflicts with firewire units.

I'm not into the "audio only" stuff. Just use common sense and proper maintenance and the internet will be fine. I don't even run anti-virus software. Just the XP firewall and twice a week Ad-Aware.

If you build a tight and fast system, the "Direct Monitoring" option will disappear in your audio app if you're not using Pro Tools!

If you need to ask what converters are, then you should also invest in some digital audio books. Analog -> digital and/or digital -> analog is conversion.

Considering that I have gotten awesome results with minimal equipment, an upgrade probably WILL make my stuff sound stellar. Then again, maybe my ears suck :lol:

What exactly are converters? ADAT?

Converters turn the analog signal into digital and vice-versa.

For example:

A/D = Analog to Digital Conversion (mic > interface [a/d] > computer)
D/A = Digital to Analog Conversion (computer > interface [d/a] > speakers)

ADAT (in this context) is a digital format for delivering up to 8 channels of audio in a single fiber optic cable. The preamp itself has an A/D converter in it to turn the audio into digital. You connect 1 Toslink cable from the preamp to the interface, and it carries all 8 channels into your DAW.

Converters turn the analog signal into digital and vice-versa.

For example:

A/D = Analog to Digital Conversion (mic > interface [a/d] > computer)
D/A = Digital to Analog Conversion (computer > interface [d/a] > speakers)

ADAT (in this context) is a digital format for delivering up to 8 channels of audio in a single fiber optic cable. The preamp itself has an A/D converter in it to turn the audio into digital. You connect 1 Toslink cable from the preamp to the interface, and it carries all 8 channels into your DAW.

Too late. I beat you.

I think 2Gb of ram is better..now I have 1Gb and at the end of the mixing process, my cpu occupation is near 90% (I have a single core amd).
Regarding 1394 port, it depends from you system.
If you use an Amd based system, it's advisable to buy an external pci-express firewire card (with Texas Instruments chip..the best for audio application), because with pci-express there is a common bandwidth with pci bus, and Amd give more bandwidth to graphics than audio...so if you have a pci firewire card, you should have latency/click/pops problems.
I've bought a pci-e card for my firepod...65euro...but it works very well.
If you think about an intel based system..there is the same problem but it seems less serious

Thanks for the comments. Does the Saffire Pro have phantom power? Their website didn't say.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using an audio interface versus recoridng to a digital recording and then moving the tracks to the computer?

melodeath: get the MOTU traveler ($800-850). 4 preamps 8 inputs adat-in, spdif, etc. great portable interface. I bought it it rules. goes up to 192khz for those 8 analogue ins, so it'll last when you wanna mic that whole kit and have it sound pro.

If you had the money I'd say go with the RME Fireface 800.

I can attest to the quality of the Saffire Pro. I've heard a couple productions done on them and I was quite impressed by this $700 interface.

Thanks for the comments. Does the Saffire Pro have phantom power? Their website didn't say.

Yes, in banks of 1-4 & 5-8. I think it's switchable in the mixer software, but not on the hardware itself.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using an audio interface versus recoridng to a digital recording and then moving the tracks to the computer?

Are you talking about using a standalone digital recorder, like a Roland VS?

Yeah. Someone I know suggested getting a digital recorder instead of an audio interface. Once tracks are recorded they can be transfered to a PC. He seemed to think this woudl be cheaper than an interface.

I haven't quite looked into that but oen advantage I thought of for a digital recorder is being able to take it places with a mic and record there, without bringing my computer.

That MOTU is too expensive to me to only get 4 pre-amps

It looks like it's between the Firestudio and Saffire Pro (unless I find something else in that price area). Advice? If my price range went up to $1000 instead of in the range of $6-700, would the recommendation change?

How is Phonic stuff? Can that Alesis interface really be reliable, being only $400?

Also, in regards to my previous question, does anyone here use a digital recorder instead of an audio interface?

It looks like it's between the Firestudio and Saffire Pro (unless I find something else in that price area). Advice? If my price range went up to $1000 instead of in the range of $6-700, would the recommendation change?

Also, in regards to my previous question, does anyone here use a digital recorder instead of an audio interface?

If you're talking about all-in-one so solutions a la Yamaha AWG and those Korg things, they pretty much suck.

The SF Pro is quality no matter how much it costs. Do you think that I'd make it the heart of my system with these other pieces if it was just mediocre?

RFH.jpg

That looks nice. So I guess you wouldn't recommend anything besides the Saffire Pro will you? ;)

I just built a pc on newegg for $1,500. I really don't need a sound card if I have an audio interface? I listen to mp3s through the audio interface?