Need a small tube amp recommendation

Mosho

New Metal Member
Feb 7, 2009
Hello! I've bought a new guitar yesterday, a Jackson Soloist SL2 :headbang:

I want to get one of those nice little tube amps to practice in my room (in my own appartment, so it doesn't have to be THAT weak)... I looked into these:

Blackheart Little Giant 5w
Blackstar HT-5

And maybe an Orange Tiny Terror.

Now, I don't play any of the heavier metal, yet, but I want like.. a good panthera sound, or metallica, something like that.

But there's a catch. I'm currently in Canada but am from Israel. I'm gonna go back in a week. I can't take anything big with me. Either that, or I buy something back in Israel, but the prices are very high so I'd rather buy it here. Those are pretty much my options... I can get some pedals too if I need them.

Thanks!

I have a crush on the Krank rev jr but I can't find the head anywhere :( Is the Orange really worth 3 times the price of the blackheart?

Just remember, for about the price of these tiny heads, you can get a used 5150 and the like.

Most of the tiny heads are still going to be loud.
If you have to be super quiet, I would actually suggest like a line6 spider practice amp with a headphone jack. Maybe a POD. If you have a recording interface, just use amp simulation and impulses, etc...

IMO the Tiny Terror and Rev Jr. both sound way better than the smooth fizz of a 5150 - I challenge someone to find a 5150 that could EVER get the kind of boneriffic BARK my Tiny Terror gave me for this clip (even though it has too much wooly midz, though that's the Stiletto cab's doing) - and the Rev Jr. (like its big bro) has a similar characteristic, just in the form of a more modern grind - love 'em both though! Can't compare either to the Blackheart but I'm skeptical considering its price...

I can't get a used 5150, or anything that big/heavy.

The point of the tiny heads is being able to crank 'em. Not to mention like I said I would rather buy them in Canada and getting a huge head on the plane is much more trouble than it's worth. I don't need them super quiet, hell, I don't need them quiet at all, I live in my own apartment, I never cared much for my neighbors anyway. :yuk:

And James (gorath23) on here has access to both a TT and Blackstar I believe, and as I recall he thought the TT smoked the Blackstar for anything remotely hi-gain (but correct me if I'm wrong dude!)

I'm in Canada, I'm leaving in a week, and I don't want to deal with customs... But thanks :) I actually did find one in a store in Toronto, but it's a full stack and it's the only one they have so they want to sell it as a stack :( If I can't find it, and I probably won't, I've decided on the Blackheart. Should I get the matching 1x12 cab? I will use the cab I buy now for any heads I will get in the future for practicing at home.

The point of the tiny heads is being able to crank 'em. Not to mention like I said I would rather buy them in Canada and getting a huge head on the plane is much more trouble than it's worth. I don't need them super quiet, hell, I don't need them quiet at all, I live in my own apartment, I never cared much for my neighbors anyway. :yuk:

The volume difference in a 10w head and a 100w head is only 3dB, all else being equal.

I tried the blackstar recently and really dug it, loved the response from it. I always recommend 12" speakers for guitar, the 10's had too much cab resonance overcompensating. I rekon it could get really nice and heavy with a boost and maybe an eq in the loop

Matt, I've heard the Krank cranked and it's nothing to call home about. It's loud, but not deadly.

I would never get 10s :p and I have a metal muff.

What do you guys say about a Framus Dragon 2x12?

Btw, I just checked, and the prices I can get the BH and BS for are 270$ for the BH and 470$ for the BS...