need a splitter - any advices???

alexrookie

Mar 13, 2004
hanover,germany
i need to split the output of my micpreamps for monitoring purposes.
the output is balanced and one shall go direct to the converters and the other one(splitted) is for the mixer.i got phasings in monitoring a whole drumkit when some pres are direct and some came back from the computer.

my compunction is that the signal i want to record must go through the damn splitter and i don't want it to be affected soundwise in a negative way.
but i am on budget for these things and i have a need for three instances.

would you recommend any splitter you have worked with, any suggestions are welcome.
does it have to be active? - i just want it to make two signals out of one and without affecting the sound in a negative way.

here are some splitters i found at thomann and that are in my pricerange
(sorry german only):

http://www.thomann.de/de/t-racks_split-it.htm

http://www.thomann.de/de/stairville_dmx_splitter_2.htm

http://www.thomann.de/de/millenium_sp3_splitter.htm

thanks for your comments!!!

alexrookie said:
i need to split the output of my micpreamps for monitoring purposes. the output is balanced and one shall go direct to the converters and the other one(splitted) is for the mixer.

Do what???

sorry for bad english :worship: - but i don't think it is that difficult to undertsand.
i care about losing a bit of the quality of my signal by splitting it.

i have one signal and i need it two times - one for the computer and one for monitoring!
the only chance to achieve this is to split the signal because the preamps just have one balanced output and not like many others one balanced and one unbalanced!

so, what about these splitters?? - any opinion?

alexrookie said:
sorry for bad english :worship: - but i don't think it is that difficult to undertsand.

Your english is fine. I'm just wondering wth you are talking about.

alexrookie said:
i care about losing a bit of the quality of my signal by splitting it.

i have one signal and i need it two times - one for the computer and one for monitoring!
the only chance to achieve this is to split the signal because the preamps just have one balanced output and not like many others one balanced and one unbalanced!

so, what about these splitters?? - any opinion?
Aren't you describing the function of a mixing board?
If this is for monitoring purposes I assume you have a board there so....

Anyway, I guess a simple 'Y' cable would work fine. Using a splitter w/ transformers that won't color things too much is going to be expensive. But seriously, if you have a board use it.

ok thanks for your interest guys.
here is my last try to explain what i want to do:

i have outboard micpreamps, a mixer (mixing board) and a computer for recording.
i don't want to use the preamps(not only) of my mixer.
but i want to monitor the signal coming from my outboard preamps straight with my mixer and not after passing my converters and getting back to the mixing board.
this is no problem to do for single instruments or vocals but when i record a whole drumsets and i use some preamps of my mixing board and some outboard pres i get phasings because of this (really just a tiny bit) latency coming back from the computer.

some of my outboard pres have two outputs - one balanced and one unbalanced - so one is for the converter and one is for monitoring with the mixer.

now i have some outboard pres that just have one output and the only way to use them was to monitor the signal coming back from the computer (no software monitoring on, of course).
and this latency drives me nuts - so my intention is to split the signal of the output of the outboard pre to get two outputs - so i can use them like my other pres - one for the mixer and one for the computer.

@egan - do you think about that kind of cable - and what about the signal, is it still balanced after it has been splitted with that cable - and what about the quality of the signal - no loss??

http://www.thomann.de/de/cae_90074_yaudiosplittkabel.htm

i hope now it is clear what i want to do :loco: and hopefully you all can help me!!!

thank you

alexrookie said:
ok thanks for your interest guys.
here is my last try to explain what i want to do:

i have outboard micpreamps, a mixer (mixing board) and a computer for recording.
i don't want to use the preamps(not only) of my mixer.
but i want to monitor the signal coming from my outboard preamps straight with my mixer and not after passing my converters and getting back to the mixing board.
this is no problem to do for single instruments or vocals but when i record a whole drumsets and i use some preamps of my mixing board and some outboard pres i get phasings because of this (really just a tiny bit) latency coming back from the computer.

some of my outboard pres have two outputs - one balanced and one unbalanced - so one is for the converter and one is for monitoring with the mixer.

now i have some outboard pres that just have one output and the only way to use them was to monitor the signal coming back from the computer (no software monitoring on, of course).
and this latency drives me nuts - so my intention is to split the signal of the output of the outboard pre to get two outputs - so i can use them like my other pres - one for the mixer and one for the computer.

@egan - do you think about that kind of cable - and what about the signal, is it still balanced after it has been splitted with that cable - and what about the quality of the signal - no loss??

http://www.thomann.de/de/cae_90074_yaudiosplittkabel.htm

i hope now it is clear what i want to do :loco: and hopefully you all can help me!!!

thank you
Well any kind of split is going to cause some loss. Unless you start to get unwanted noise (say a ground hum) the Y-will work. Since they are relatively cheap you may want to buy one and just do an A/B recording comparison. If the 'Y' is made right it will indeed be balanced.
IMO it still makes a lot of sense to patch the outboard preamp into the line in of the board and then use the direct outs to the computer. I guess if the board sucks this could introduce a bunch of coloration-- It's hard to say w/o being there.
Good luck.

thanks egan - and trust me the board sucks (behringer mx8000)!!!
it has only unbalanced direct outputs and im afraid of running my 'good' preamped signal through the gain of the line level to go to the computer.

i will try these y-cables - they are nothing more than some passive splitters, right? - like the rackversion i had a link in the thread before?