need advice in this genre (outsider)

The saYer

thrashermetaller
Aug 17, 2003
bay area
Visit site
Hello, I am an oldschool thrasher, but my second favorite genre is prog.
I just know about the essential bands, so I came to this board looking for advice to expand my horizons.

I am looking for bands along the lines of...

shaaman
angra
avantasia
edguy
hammerfall(I am including power)
rush
nightwish
slough feg
blind guardian
rhapsody
sonata artica
dragonforce

thanks

Well, that's pretty expansive, but might be a bit too adventourous.

I'm thinking Kamelot, Labyrinth's Return to Heaven Denied, Stratovarius, Helloween, the new Secret Sphere, DivineFire, and Power Quest.

Add to the list DARK MOOR, TWILIGHTNING SUPREME MAJESTY, ORION RIDERS, CIRCUS MAXIMUS, POWER SYMPHONY, EDENBRIDGE, AND SILENT FORCE. Oh we cant forget MASTERPLAN.

Dream theater and Pain of Salvation are the two bands you can expect quality from everytime...

it never hurts to try something new... maybe you'll end up liking it.

Maybe Opeth (like Blackwater park) its not as melody oriented as the bands you have mentioned, but it can be like a gateway band into other genre's especially if you end up tolerating the growling.

Ah yes, Rage. I'm not an old school thrasher, I'm a melodic metal guy. Not too into Rage, but I certainly recognize their appeal.

I have two albums, Unity and Soundchaser. If this guy wants a couple of free albums, I'll bring them up.

I second the recommendations of Shadow Gallery, Psychotic Waltz and Fates Warning.

Since you like Nightwish, you might also try

Dreams Of Sanity (especially their first album "Komödia")
Nemesea (you can download their song "Threefold Law" from their record label´s website, check under "Music")
Soulslide (featuring former Dreams Of Sanity-vocalist Sandra Schleret; you can download one full-length song, "The Dreamer", from their website, just check under "Stuff" and then "Files")
Operatika (try "The Calling", which you can download from their website)

adaher said:
Ah yes, Rage. I'm not an old school thrasher, I'm a melodic metal guy. Not too into Rage, but I certainly recognize their appeal.

I have two albums, Unity and Soundchaser. If this guy wants a couple of free albums, I'll bring them up.
I want a couple free albums. I could deff use them in getting people into metal.

Any band that has played Progpower, check the history :)

Brainstorm
Symphorce
Visions of Atlantis
Amaran
Sinergy
Mercenary
Silent Force
Inner Wish
Seven Witches
Primal Fear
Wuthering Heights
Threshold
Mystic Prophecy
Dream Evil
Theocracy
Divinefire
Oratory
Rhapsody
Reign of Terror

to name a few

Heh. You guys are slipping. Some obvious big name omissions (tut, tut, tut):
Savatage
GammaRay
Running Wild
Grave Digger

Add to that:
Paragon
Lost Horizon
At Vance (maybe a bit too light for a thrasher, but...)
White Skull
Nocternal Rites
The Black Symphony (Maybe hard to find)
Firewind
Tarot
Galloglass

13ShadesofGray said:
Redemption
Pantommind
Psychotic Waltz
SunCaged
Seventhsign
Into Eternity
Riverside
Persephone's Dream
Lacuna Coil
Edenbridge
oh... and of course Fates Warning :)

It's about time someone mentioned Fates Warning. I thought they were going to get left out. Let me think of some.....oh and forgive me if I repeat some.

Alchemy X
Lost Horizon
Circus Maximus
Nocturnal Rites
Dokken
Winger
Iced Earth
Circle II Circle
Pink Cream 69
Gamma Ray

For a good mix of prog- and power-metal elements, try Superior's behind or Ultima Ratio -- Younique would be for more adventurous listening (although it's still well-done).

BlindPanzer said:
it never hurts to try something new... maybe you'll end up liking it.

Maybe Opeth (like Blackwater park) its not as melody oriented as the bands you have mentioned, but it can be like a gateway band into other genre's especially if you end up tolerating the growling.

From BWP, playing tracks 3 and 4, "Harvest" followed by "The Drapery Falls," is one of the best introductions to extreme metal anywhere. :headbang:

I think Vanden Plas is one of the bands to go for as far as prog if you are newer to progressive metal. It's not that they are prog-lite or anything, but they seem to be able to combine strong hooks and melody while still maintaining the musical diversity ala time changes and movements to be considered "prog." I recommend their last release "Beyond Daylight" or "Far Off Grace" which is slightly heavier.
As far as powermetal..... since you are an oldschooler, I suggest Angel Dust and Tad Morose. They both have lots of oldschool influence. Angel Dust was once a thrash band and Tad Morose have great oldschool style lead vocals (ala Dio/Martin/Mike Howe) and a huge twin guitar sound reminiscent of the 80's. I recommend Tad Morose's latest "Modus Vivendi" and ANgel Dust's "Bleed."

Bryant