need advice in this genre (outsider)

Bryant said:
I think Vanden Plas is one of the bands to go for as far as prog if you are newer to progressive metal. It's not that they are prog-lite or anything, but they seem to be able to combine strong hooks and melody while still maintaining the musical diversity ala time changes and movements to be considered "prog." I recommend their last release "Beyond Daylight" or "Far Off Grace" which is slightly heavier.
As far as powermetal..... since you are an oldschooler, I suggest Angel Dust and Tad Morose. They both have lots of oldschool influence. Angel Dust was once a thrash band and Tad Morose have great oldschool style lead vocals (ala Dio/Martin/Mike Howe) and a huge twin guitar sound reminiscent of the 80's. I recommend Tad Morose's latest "Modus Vivendi" and ANgel Dust's "Bleed."

Bryant

Ya know...you can always count on Bryant for a dead-ass serious, informed opinion on shit.

What a great response...except that Enlighten The Darkness is (without a doubt) the most compelling, ballsy, representative album of Angel Dust. In my opinion...a must have!

Rock on!

hey thanks all. Came back to see the results and the band names just poured.
Checked some of them out and they are kick anus!!

others not so much, I don't really like the evergrey sounding ones.
I am writing the rest down like heck on my notepad.

This site probably has the best metallers in any genre, I mean it is tough to beat these results.