Need advice on picking a guitar!

c4mz

Mar 23, 2009
Hi Guys, hope this hasn't been asked too many times, but I'm currently looking for a new cheap quality guitar. It will be mostly used for metal. I have been doing abit of research here and there but I trust you guys alot more then salesman, as most of yous have alot of experience with different guitars.

Im looking @ about AU500 - 600. Here are some currency conversions to help.

US~$360 - $440
EURO~€270 - €330

Thanks guys..

I'm selling my Jackson KVX10 if you're interested. Would be for 400 us + shipping, including official hard shell case.( the big fucking mastodon). It's like this one (http://www.edroman.com/guitars/jackson/images/jackson_kvx10.jpg) but mine don't have a floyd. It has a couple of scratches tough, I can send you pics if you want. Plays perfectly.

I'd look at some of the schecter models too, they're pretty good guitars IMO.

Gday c4mz, unfortunately mate, for 5 to 6 hunge, I truly believe you wont pick up a great guitar new here in Oz.
But if you could see yourself with a second hand jobby then 600 odd would knock the great stakes up a few notches.
I have been there before mate, new guitar (cheap ) and I dont think I will ever buy another newy for under $1500 ever again.
Under that price here sees you with a big brand name, (probably made in Korea or Taiwan somewhere) rotten pick ups, not so stay in tune trem, shitty chrome hardware, and poor playability!
Save up the extra bickies if you can and get yourself something with at least decent pick ups for starters.
Im guessing you are on a tight budget at the moment with the recession and all, so thats why I would suggest second hand.
I bought my Ibanez 7 string rg 7620 for $700 bucks out of the trading post. Came loaded with Seymour Duncan Invaders, neck and bridge (although some here dont like the Invaders ) and a Duncan 59 as a spare including case. He was asking $1200, and when I rang him, he sounded as though he needed cash, so I put the tighteners on him:lol: After a few minutes of bartering, he came to $900 and then told me it had no strings, so I offered $800. He said yes, then I became cheeky and said I would take it for $700 and be at his place within the hour with cash and he nodded! I think I gotta good deal that day!
Anyways, thats just one second hand story of hundreds out there, so just because some dude wants x amount for a guitar, doesnt mean you have to pay for it! In some cases you can knock 40% the asking price!

There is another avenue you could go and that would be to use something like FLEXIWAY here in Oz through someone like Allans music. I know you pay more for it in the end, but the monthly repayments on $2000 works out to be around $50 a month over 4 years. A long time I know but you would be getting a brand new instrument and you could splurge that little extra in the end. ( You have to have a good credit rating ).

I truly would look at something a bit more expensive as for what you get for the extra $800 is worth it for me. Build quality stands out like dogs balls on the $1500 and up models and the playability and neck comfort dont compare to the cheapies. So up the ante with someone like FLEXIWAY or do your homework and screw a good second hand deal outta some poor bastard, either way you would have a win.:lol:

Stay away from B.C Rich as they are way over priced and the quality of their instruments has decreased over the last 5 years. Any form of Jap Ibanez would do the trick, Jackson are heading down the same path as B.C
and I dont care for the LTDs Ive played either. I bought a second hand Paul Reed Smith in gorgeous nick for $1800. Best guitar I have ever played:headbang:
Try hunting down something like an Ibanez RG 770 or an earlier model Jackson ( concept, professional ).

Remember, these are just my humble opinions, but please do try a lot of guitars out before you commit, because what might look cool today, will probably rub off 6 months down the track!

P.S I have a couple of friends selling their guitars, ones a USA BC RICH stealth ($500) and the other a ZAKK WYLDE EPIPHONE CAMO for $650. Let us know if ya keen, (both in Ballarat), Best of luck with it mate.

The Ibanez SZ320 was a super-nice guitar for the money. It was like 450 new, but it is discontinued now. It was Korean made, it had a mahogany body, mahogany neck and a maple top. The body was also thicker than usual, so it had somewhat of a LP-ish sound, but with a bit more of an Ibanez feel to it (The neck was not Wizard thin at all, tho).

I have one. Only downside I see to it is that the bridge pickup might need changing.

DSC00005.jpg

I'd say get a Dean VMNT1 and put some new pickups in it eventually. It's really nice to play, or at least I think so.