Need help blending kick drum and bass

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
Hows it goin' guys.
I'm currently producing my first clients and they're aiming for an Of Mice & Men - The Flood kind of sound for their single, which explains why I came here for this.
As for my production, I am not trying to MIMIC Joey's sound. I use my own Pod patches and I used Superior Drummer 2.0.
Now that that's out of the way, I am going for a "kick 10 (i think it is?)" bass drum sound [from Steven Slate, correct me if I'm wrong but we're all fond of Kick 10 here?), but I want to achieve this in Superior Drummer.
I am having problems getting the kick drum and bass guitar to sit well in the mix.
So lend me your professional ears, gentlemen, what should I do about this mix?
http://soundcloud.com/anthonyhildebrandt/phen0m-sample-1-mst

I would have to agree. The bass, to me, sits fine, you just need some clarity on your kick, but don't crazy and making it sound clicky. Just needs some attack. And I'm listening on a laptop, but I can tell its fine, because I can distinct between the bass and kick, which is usually hard. But add some clarity on your kick, and you should be golden.

^+1, I think the bass needs turning up a tad more. For the kick, try cutting 200Hz and abit of 2kHz. Kick also sounds very one dimensional. Try some different velocities

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!
Velocities in the bass drum vary from 127 to 125. Anything under 125 loses a lot of power in my opinion.
I'm going to try a couple of them out and post an updated clip tomorrow, as today is the 4th.
Cheers!

A 2-point velocity range is really tiny, it's no wonder the kick sounds sort of robotic. I usually vary hits from 75ish to 110ish. I've never used Superior Drummer but I'm pretty sure this trick will work: Put the kick MIDI notes on a separate track, run it through SD, bounce/write that track, then put Drumagog on the resulting audio track. Or Slate Trigger. Use Kick 10. It will sound more natural.

Also, don't cut the guitars up so choppy-like. I can't really hear any transients and there's too much silence.