Need help choosing drum kit!

Stay away from alder or basswood - they are cheap for a reason and generally suck. Birch will give you a louder, more aggressive sound, while maple will be more "mellow," and "round."

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/yamaha-stage-custom-birch-5-piece-shell-pack

I had a birch stage custom kit that I sold, thinking a maple kit would sound better. I still regret that decision years later - it had a phenomenal bass drum and the toms were insanely easy to tune. I got that fucker for $300, with a steel snare that also sounded great.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/mapex-meridian-birch-sro-5-piece-shell-pack/666605

Mapex has been making great kits for the last 5-7 years now. This would also be a good option.

The Dixon kit looks decent, but I would worry about the powder-coating coming off of the hardware after a few years. That tends to happen with cheap kits.

get one of those cheap birch gretsch kits. check the sizes of the drums though, they make a lot of them in jazz/fusion sizes which i don't think work as good.
look on craigslist, you will SAVE SAVE SAVE. usually you are only buying shell packs, but at least used guys usually throw in some stands and shitty cymbals.

get one of those cheap birch gretsch kits. check the sizes of the drums though, they make a lot of them in jazz/fusion sizes which i don't think work as good.
look on craigslist, you will SAVE SAVE SAVE. usually you are only buying shell packs, but at least used guys usually throw in some stands and shitty cymbals.

+1 I got a Gretsch maple 6 piece on craigslist for $350. I wouldn't buy new, buying used makes it easier to get your money back if you decide to sell it.

Fusion sizes mean you get 10", 12" and 14" toms. Generally the toms are slightly shorter in length than diameter. They tend to ring a little less, and have a more focused sound. Standard, or "power-toms" are sized 12", 13" and 16", and are usually a bit longer.

13" inch toms are notoriously a bitch a tune. I tend to prefer fusion sizes myself, but if you want a big 80s sound, standard sizes are the way to go :kickass:

A sidenote. I get really excited when I see threads on here about real drums. Fucking SD2!! :devil: