Need help from Ill. Edguy fans

Andy Laudano

Feb 24, 2005
Ft Worth Texas
A friend and I were thinking about taking a detour to Mokena after ProgPower to see Edguy in Mokena Ill. Can anyone tell me ...

What airport should we fly into (if there's more than one)

How close is the venue to the airport and what would be the cheapest way to get there ... bus, train, shuttle? Any idea how much that might be?

What is the venue like, would it be easy to get a few autograhs/photos with the band there?

Thanks again for any help you might be able to offer. Hope to see you at the show! ~ Andy

If I were you, I'd fly into Midway airport. Less mess all around. Neither Midway nor O'hare is very close to the Pearl Room. You could take the train, but the last train back into the city leaves at Midnight or 11 (as I understand it) and the show won't be over in time for you to get the train back.

The venue is not particularly suited to getting autographs. The busses park behind it, but if you try to wait around after the show, security will chase you off. Sometimes with persistence you can catch bands going to their busses, but you really have to watch for security.

Midway is closer, but I don't think it matter either way. You can catch a train to downtown (Union Station) from either airport. Then you can catch the Metra/Rock Island line to a train station about a block and a half from The Pearl Room. In fact, The Pearl Room uses the train station parking lot for parking during shows.

If you rented a car and drove, it would take about the same amount of time I think. Midway might save you about 10 minutes depending on traffic. If you chose to drive, get a car with GPS. It's tricky to get there from the north.

You could do a bus, but I don't think you could do that on one bus.

I did some quick searching and here's what I came up with:
Midway to Union Station
O'Hare to Union Station

It looks like a limo would be about $85 from either airport to Mokena. No idea what a cab would cost, but it's gonna be about an hour to an hour and a half, so a hell of a lot.

I looks like you might be able to catch a bus south out of Midway, then jump on the train. That might save you some time and money, but I can't figure out how to see a bus map. It looks to me like they expect you to know the route before they'll show you a map. Maybe you can figure it out: http://www.transitchicago.com/

Here's the Metra (train) system map. The Rock Island line is the orange line at the bottom that ends at RI. Mokena is just east of where it crosses the blue line.
http://metrarail.com/System_map/index.html

This map shows the CTA train lines. You would take the Blue Line from O'Hare (it's at the end of the Blue Line), or the Orange Line from Midway (it's also at the end of that line).
http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/maps/ctatrainmap.png

Good luck.

I'd fly into Midway, take a cab to Mokena (may be a bit pricey) then snag the motel that's across the street and take a cab back in the a.m. There's a bar that's part of the complex (I forget the name) but you can't miss it and that's where I've had the most luck getting autographs as the band members invariably stop in for a few drinks after the show is over.

Cities with integrated subway/heavy commuter rail systems rawk. :headbang:

Sadly, Atlanta lagged too long in developing either.

that is one thing about living in Chicago....you can not own a car and still get any where. I do have a car and use it only when I need to go shopping...other than that...bus, train, or walk. it is great and saves tons of money.

that is one thing about living in Chicago....you can not own a car and still get any where. I do have a car and use it only when I need to go shopping...other than that...bus, train, or walk. it is great and saves tons of money.

I absolutely disagree! I live in Chicago and spend my weekends in Skokie. I've been driving since 1986 and have never had an issue driving anywhere in the city. Granted you have to be smart about where you're going and the times you go. Other than that I have no issues. I'm curious what part of Chicago you live in. I think its very interesting that you own a car yet dont drive much. The only time I do that is if I take the "L" to a Sox game or go to a museum downtown. Thats only because of the parking fees.

Well, I used to live in the Wrigley area.
If you take your car somewhere, you may end up parking many blocks away from where you live.

Though, I was spoiled, as this was all before the Pearl Room, so any show was either walking distance or a train ride away.

Not sure this excursion is worth it. Edguy (who tour all the time) with not-so-stellar openers? I am passing, and live about 30 minutes away. (Though, Edguy lost me as a fan with Rocket Ride, so my opinion is probably invalid to those involved).