Need help ripping a couple of cds

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Ugh. Can someone help out the computer illiterate?

Can someone tell me how to rip the last few releases from Transmission Records to my ITunes? The latest Epica and After Forever are prime examples that simply do not show up on my laptop unless I use Windows Media Player and even then it won't allow me to rip it to mp3.

Gman
My copy of the latest After Forever is copy protected so you cant load it on itunes or anything like that. Supposed to stop piracy but if I already bought the damn thing I dont get it...

I have had problems with Slayer's Reign in Blood cd where is says it ripped it but there is nothing there but the titles.

Now with YOUR problem, are you trying to rip the cds in iTunes? Does Gracenotes recognize the cds? Whether Gracenotes does or not, you should be able to rip the cds in iTunes and just manually label the important things like: Artist, Song title, track number and album title.

Nah..guardian is right. Transmission pulls that copy bullshit on all their stuff now. I was just wondering if someone had figured a way around it.

I refuse to buy another one of their releases if I can't even listen to it on my ipod.

There are many shareware cd to mp3 rippers available that will let you demo quite a bit or are fully functional, that you can try to see if they do the trick. Some software MP3 players will also let you convert to mp3. Once it's in mp3 I assume you should be able to download it to the ipod with their software or whatever, I don't know 100% as I don't own an Ipod or any of those portable players.

That's what I was hoping to do with Media Player so that I could change to ITunes afterwards. Honestly, I'm not going to put a hell of a lot of effort into finding a solution if someone here doesn't have one. I like both bands, but piss on it and they can thank Transmission for that.

It's killed my listening of Af's newest cd, Remagine. I rarely use cds now with my Ipod and if I cant get the songs on there I just dont listen.

nailz said:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/

CDex is the greatest ripping utility I've used. It rips EVERYTHING. Give this a shot. It should rip the tracks to mp3 and you should be able to import those to itunes.

Hope that works for ya
Copy protection is pure bullshit.

CDex is a fine tool - it's generally fast and highly configurable. It is somewhat weak at dealing with damaged discs. It can handle most of the more primitive copy-protected schemes just fine.

EAC is a better tool - but it's quite slower. It is also highly configurable. It is much better at dealing with damaged discs and more advanced copy-protected discs.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.org/

I don't know anything about the copy-protection scheme used by Transmission Records. The worst copy protection that I've seen is used by EMI and Sony in Europe. It's called Copy Control, and discs in that format can't even be seen by Windows Explorer. The only thing capable of reading them is their proprietary player and regular CD players (though many have problems), and, of course, non-Windows systems. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control

As far as I know, no one uses this protection anymore. The remastered Eloy discs used this scheme. To circumvent it, I dug an ancient CD-R drive out of storage and stuck it into an old Windows 98 box and ripped the discs with EAC without any problems. This "works" but having to fire up the old boat anchor is such a pain in the ass. It'd be easier to drive a metal spike into the skull of everyone who releases copy protected discs - or to just quit buying the stuff, depending on how metal you want to be.

Joe

Harvester said:
Bear,

The latest discs from Transmission are indeed copy protected despite there being no written warning on the cd covers.

Well damn it all to hell. I have been using CDEX for years, I dont even use nothing else but I did not know that you can use it to get by CRP, very cool.

Bear

Harvester said:
One of the few things that me and the Amazing Fuckhead have agreed upon lately. :kickass:
Don't let my self amusing trolling here fool you. I think there's still a considerable overlap in musical tastes. :kickass:

I never have too much of a hassle with copy protected cds. Some like the Jap version of Melancholy Beast, Dance of Death and the GUN reissue of Mother Earth load straight into Itunes. For Consign to Oblivion this is what I did. I just straight copied it to a cd-r then when I put the cd-r copy of Consign into my cd-rom all the artist info popped up in Itunes. I copied it, listened, yay it works then put the art on there and slapped it on the pod.

As for the cd burning program I use its the default one that came installed on the laptop, Record Now. Dunno if that helps or not but I never have a problem with copy protected discs.