Need help ripping a couple of cds

DAVETHEMETALGUY said:
man, my mac does it with no problem....

Yeah, Macs seem to have no problems bypassing the security stuff they put on. My iTunes always would grab anything that was even listed as being copy protected on my iBook. It's probably because the protection is focused on PC users as they are in the majority.

Isn't it amazing how copy protection actually encourages piracy though? I guess some companies never get it. Make it difficult for the consumer to do what they want to do, and they will find another source.

Never mind me having to sit through FBI warnings on DVDs that I paid money for.

I've used EAC for a long time, but will give CDex a try.

Very interesting! I just went and tried ripping Epica's Cosigned to Oblivion album and it worked perfectly. I am using the Creative MediaSource program that came with my (starting to get long in the tooth) Creative Lab's MuVo Slim player. I am ripping it into straight 192 kbps MP3 file. My trusty copy of iTunes has no problem seeing it as well, thus I can slap it on my 30gig iPod no problem! Also to add, the files played fine just using WinAmp after the rip was complete.

Whatever copy protection they have those disks cannot be all that good if the pack-in program that came with my two+ year old MP3 player can rip it no problems.

SkiBumMSP said:
Very interesting! I just went and tried ripping Epica's Cosigned to Oblivion album and it worked perfectly. I am using the Creative MediaSource program that came with my (starting to get long in the tooth) Creative Lab's MuVo Slim player. I am ripping it into straight 192 kbps MP3 file. My trusty copy of iTunes has no problem seeing it as well, thus I can slap it on my 30gig iPod no problem! Also to add, the files played fine just using WinAmp after the rip was complete.

Whatever copy protection they have those disks cannot be all that good if the pack-in program that came with my two+ year old MP3 player can rip it no problems.

Actually, how old is your cd rom? I think that has a lot to do with it as well.
I would also avoid any DRM updates from MS, as these are digital rights management patches that will surely make your enjoyment more difficult.

J-Dubya - Holding onto his "older" system for dear life!

J-Dubya 777 said:
Actually, how old is your cd rom? I think that has a lot to do with it as well.
I would also avoid any DRM updates from MS, as these are digital rights management patches that will surely make your enjoyment more difficult.

J-Dubya - Holding onto his "older" system for dear life!

This is on a practically brand-new eMachine computer, only a few months old! (A replacement to a machine that crapped up just this past spring - although I did manage to resurrect it and put a copy of Ubuntu Linux on it).

However, I do have an ancient Pentium 233MMX based machine still hanging around, partly to play old DOS games that I just cannot give up (such as the venerable Crusader : No Remorse game). Oh yeah, still hanging on an older system (or two or three) myself!

sort of like how one person said that gun control keeps guns out of the hands of the people who use them legally, and those who use them illegally will still find ways to obtain them

meanwhile, copyright protection kept a number of cds that I bought from making it to my ipod, and yet, people are out there downloading the album without paying a dime every day. Shame.

(Then again, unlike Glenn, I bought the damn album so I just went ahead and downloaded it too so bypass all the copyprotect crapzilla :Smug: )

Toss in another "hell yeah" for CDex. I've been using it for years and it seldom fails.....and when it does, it's usually due to a damaged disc, as someone else observed.

As an aside, I didn't know the 60gig iPods were being phased out in favor of the new 80gig ones......sheesh.

CDex and EAC get my vote, with a bigger nod to EAC based on length of use. As for copy protected CDs... I've never come across one that I couldn't rip. If all else fails, disable the auto-run feature on your PC and you should be good to go in most any case. The only thing I've yet to figure out is ripping fromt he DualDisc format. (Which I loathe, by the way.)

SkiBumMSP said:
This is on a practically brand-new eMachine computer, only a few months old! (A replacement to a machine that crapped up just this past spring - although I did manage to resurrect it and put a copy of Ubuntu Linux on it).

However, I do have an ancient Pentium 233MMX based machine still hanging around, partly to play old DOS games that I just cannot give up (such as the venerable Crusader : No Remorse game). Oh yeah, still hanging on an older system (or two or three) myself!

This may be part of the problem. The newer drives & mobos may have DRM
pieces already in place. I wonder if it would work if you ripped it on an older system?

J-Dubya

spag said:
Never mind me having to sit through FBI warnings on DVDs that I paid money for.

The FBI warnings are annoying, yeah. But what REALLY pisses me off is when I sit down to watch a DVD that I PAID for, and they force me to sit through COMMERCIALS. They're usually for other movies, but I don't care....I PAID for a DVD, therefore *I* should get to decide what I watch on it, and how.

Every time I buy a DVD that has that crap (with the menu disabled so you can't skip it), I want to go to BitTorrent and download every movie that studio has put out (something I normally wouldn't do), just because they pissed me off.

Same thing with going to the theater and seeing flat-out commercials (for mobile phone service, etc) before the movie starts. WTF?!?!?! It's bad enough that they ass-raped me for $10 to see the damn thing, they I have to watch freakin' commercials???

Am I the only one sick of this BS?

Craig

J-Dubya 777 said:
This may be part of the problem. The newer drives & mobos may have DRM
pieces already in place. I wonder if it would work if you ripped it on an older system?

J-Dubya

I would figure if there was any DRM in place, it would prevent me from ripping a copy of the CD into straight non-DRM'ed MP3 file (yes, these were actual .MP3).

But just to test your theory, I'll try to rip the same CD from my server computer, which is an older Windows 2000 based machine with a relatively old CD-ROM drive.

But oh yeah, don't even get me started on the whole concept of "DRM" in the first place! Frankly, I just see it as an elaborate plan for the record industry to try to rip off the public, in the guise of "protecting our musician's copyright". Nope, sounds like just another way of trying to squeeze every last nickel from the paying public, but does nothing to actually stop piracy. If it was truly up to the RIAA and thier ilk - they would have us be paying everytime we listened to a piece of music!

Thus the main reason why I refuse to buy from any of the locked-up, DRM-infested music download services. At least eMusic seems to have the right idea! I bought the damn music, so I should be able to listen to it whenever, wherever, and however I wish. However, will consent that I do agree with not uploading to the world to share, though. The artists do deserve thier fair compensation, but don't anybody dare try to tell me that I am not allowed to make a copy of a CD so I can listen to it in the car, or rip a copy to listen on my iPod, thus leaving the orginal safely in my media cabinet in the house.