A couple of PC + Protools Questions

Trep

Mar 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
So Im about to Buy a new Computer as mine is on its last legs.

1/ Is there any Performance Difference between XP Pro and Home?

2/ Is there a way I can Transfer all My Plugins and PT8 Software without Reinstalling every Single One? ie, Can i simply Just copy the Plugins Folder of Protools onto my new Computer. This Seems way to simple and I think i tried it once before..

Any Help?

1: performance between xp pro and home - as far as i remember pro is just easier for networking stuff like 2 computers together or remote desktop stuff. also there are a few limited applications out there that require you to have pro installed. go for pro! after all you do see yourself as a professional dont you!!!!!! its easy to pick up anywhere off the net...(ebay im talking about - stay away from the pirate bay - yarr)

2: yea you can drag and drop most plugins over into your new plugin folder on your new pc but some plugins such as eg: revalver use registry entries to digitally sign their legality onto your pc so it wont work for all plugins.

You CANNOT just drag Pro Tools onto your new computer. it scatters registry entries throughout your computer and scatters folders all over your hard drive in order to build the application. its impossible to do. you'll have to reinstall PT