ProTools M-Powered limitations?

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm just starting to get into more serious home recording and was looking at picking up an M-Audio Firewire 1814 and ProTools M-Powered to get me started. What I wanted to know, is what sort of major differences there are between M-Powered and ProTools LE? I have heard that M-Powered doesn't have the multitrack beat detective or something that allows for more powerful quantization, but if that is the only REAL difference, I'm pretty sure I can live with it. Sorry if this has been discussed before, thanks for any input (be it 1/4", XLR or ADAT ;) )!

M-Powered is almost idetical to LE... main difference is that it uses M-audio not Digi hardware!... you only get 32 tracks stock and non-multitrack beat detective..... this can be upgraded to multitrack beat detective and 48 tracks (stereo or mono) with the music production toolkit.....

check Digi's site it's all there man.... hope that helped

C

Hey guys, I'm just starting to get into more serious home recording and was looking at picking up an M-Audio Firewire 1814 and ProTools M-Powered to get me started. What I wanted to know, is what sort of major differences there are between M-Powered and ProTools LE? I have heard that M-Powered doesn't have the multitrack beat detective or something that allows for more powerful quantization, but if that is the only REAL difference, I'm pretty sure I can live with it. Sorry if this has been discussed before, thanks for any input (be it 1/4", XLR or ADAT ;) )!

Don't buy into the hype of "pro-tools". Consider other options.

dude.. essentially i bought PT m-powered & mpt to learn it. Personally I find it a labour to use for mixing: no automatic delay compensation - some may say it's not so bad but trust me if your using anything like powercore/uad/liquidmix and more than 48 tracks (which lets face it - any serious project will be) then like chadsxe said - consider your options

I mix in SX and love it but having said that i edit drums in PT depends what you want to do..... Also it is VERY easy to port songs between programs (as long as it's just stems your porting accross not pluggin info/automation)

hope that sheds some light on it for you mate.

C

Awesome, thanks for the info guys, very much appreciated! So what do you guys prefer to use over Protools then? I see you mentioned Cubase SX, what else compares? I was also thinking of getting a Firepod, but obviously I can't use that as my main interface if I am going to run Protools, but if there is other software that you guys think is better, then that opens my options back up again...

ah yes, fair play carl the fun of manually delay compensating 4 uads and 2 power cores worth of plug ins...
yeah good point
for tracking and editing for me tools is the don

if you can deal with some of the shitty limitations ADC being the greatest for me you can get everything done in tools.

I never got on with sx
i found it slow, buggy and it crashed every 5 minutes, i can get more horse power out of my machine with vegas and tools as well

I love nuendo, have pt mpowered and hate it. no ADC is just ridiculous. I am finding ,as much as I hate to say it, that you better be fluent in PT if you want to move forward professionally. I am dealing with a lot of people bringing in PT files to mix and also any freelancing at other studios is almost always PT. I think it's a necessary evil at this point. Thats why I bought m-powered in the first place, to get familiar with it. If digi would build in OMF translation, or some smart hacker would design a crack to open PT files I'd never touch it again, but till then I have to

Ok first off mpowered is no where close to the animal that SX and Nuendo is. Nor is it anywhere near the cost.

A more accurate comparison would be PT HD and Nuendo. But even thats not fair as far as comparisons go.

But seriously if we are going to compare a more accurate comparison would be PT mpower and Cubase SE 3.