Need Help With ADAT etc.

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
Hey guys. I really need some help as I have a session tomorrow and I've never used 2 interfaces connected with ADAT. Noob stuff follows:

I've got two audio interfaces, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, and an M-Audio Profire 2626. I need to hook these up so I can record at least 10 channels of audio simultaneously.

I'm using the Saffire as my main interface, so I need to hookup the Profire with ADAT.

Question one: Do I need two ADAT/lightpipe cables or just one?

I setup the Profire to sync to ADAT port 1 when in standalone mode. I have 1 lightpipe cable going from Profire optical out to Saffire optical In. I can't get any signal on the preamps of the Profire going, and the power light is flashing blue instead of staying lit. The Saffire is on.

Question two: Is it possible to create a 3rd headphone mix with the Saffire, and send it out to ADAT and then to the headphone output of the Profire, since I will already be using the two headphone outs on the Saffire? Or is this more complicated than it needs to be and I could just use a hardware output on the Saffire?

Thanks!

Update:

When I tell the Saffire to sync to ADAT 1, I hear the DI of the Profire through my Saffire. When I tell the saffire to sync to internal, I hear nothing but clicks and pops (the actual timing signal of ADAT coming through my speakers). When I tell the Profire to sync to ADAT, it says it's not synced. WTF?

Update:

When I tell the Saffire to sync to ADAT 1, I hear the DI of the Profire through my Saffire. When I tell the saffire to sync to internal, I hear nothing but clicks and pops (the actual timing signal of ADAT coming through my speakers). When I tell the Profire to sync to ADAT, it says it's not synced. WTF?

you definetly need 2 ADAT cables, saffire in to profire out and saffire out to profire in. With only 1 cable they cant sync together. Also, you'll have to choose which is the master and which is the slave. Normally you have a switch on the unit (like on the ADA800) or you can control it on the computer in the driver setup (like RME stuff).

Thank you! Looks like I just need another cable. I'm curious why it worked when I had Saffire syncing to ADAT and Profire to internal, but not the other way

I'm curious why it worked when I had Saffire syncing to ADAT and Profire to internal, but not the other way
B/C that is a completely valid and totally acceptable way to do it. You only need two cables if A) you need the outputs of the 2626 or B) you think the saffire has superior clocking.
What you did is totally acceptable and was a proper use of sync source.

Hmm, that's what I thought, but then why wouldn't it work when I set the Saffire to internal and Profire to ADAT?

Oh, b/c it's only "ADAT Out" hooked up on the Profire. It's not getting any timing info. Looks like I just had it backwards from what I wanted. Classic :lol:

I need the Profire outputs b/c I need to record at least 10 separate channels. Also, you need to sync the clock or the audio could glitch/pop. But technically, I can record 16 channels with only one fiber optic cable, yes? (8 from Saffire, 8 over lightpipe from Profire)

Hmm, that's what I thought, but then why wouldn't it work when I set the Saffire to internal and Profire to ADAT?

Oh, b/c it's only "ADAT Out" hooked up on the Profire. It's not getting any timing info. Looks like I just had it backwards from what I wanted. Classic :lol:

I need the Profire outputs b/c I need to record at least 10 separate channels. Also, you need to sync the clock or the audio could glitch/pop. But technically, I can record 16 channels with only one fiber optic cable, yes? (8 from Saffire, 8 over lightpipe from Profire)
Correct.

profire ADAT out ---> saffire ADAT in. Set the clock/sync source on the saffire to ADAT and you will have 16 simultaneous inputs.

Thanks

Any ideas about sending a headphone mix over ADAT so I can use the profire headphone outputs? Is there some simpler way?

Thanks

Any ideas about sending a headphone mix over ADAT so I can use the profire headphone outputs? Is there some simpler way?

I'm not sure about the specifics, but you would need a second ADAT cable for that and then you would need to set up the profire to route ADAT in --> headphone amp. Again, there would be some device specific stuff.

Alright, I got another ADAT cable. Hooked everything up. I have Profire set to ADAT sync in standalone mode. I have the Saffire on internal clock sync.

All 8 mic pres on the Saffire are used for drums. Instrument input 1 and 2 on the Profire are for guitars. The guitars are being recorded through ADAT into the Saffire, and direct monitored with an amp sim in Sonar.

The issue: The amp sim tone sounds phasey, as if there's clock issues. I tried the saffire on internal clock and ADAT clock, and it sounds phasey either way. Am I doing something wrong?