Need help with Kemper live setup!

RustyNotes

Jun 24, 2012
First of: I'M SO SORRY for this new thread. BUT, I have actually been searching the web (not just here) for about 2 days straight now. Even though I have found some really good answers to some of my wonders, I still need some more help directed to me and my needs. So please, bare with me, answer nice if you can :)

Ok, so!
I'm a mixing engineer and producer and bla bla bla. I recorded this band called Leave me here, metalcore/hardcore (think Parkway Drive, Memphis may fire, I killed the prom queen and such). One thing led to another, and to make a long story short, I joined the band on guitar.
Now, the EP is done and gigs are next on the schedule. There will be minor gigs (pubs and clubs) and bigger ones as well (arenas for around 1,000 - 4,500 people).

I have, today, the rack version of the Kemper, WITHOUT the poweramp. So i just have the "regular studio version" if you will. I have an 4x12 marshall cab I will/can play on live. I will also buy that Behringer (spelling?) midi-pedal that you guys are talking about here on the forum, WITH that extra chip (what ever it was called) to make it work with the Kemper extra well.

Now to my question... is the "regular" Kemper going to be enough?

- can the "normal" Kemper (without the poweramp) do the job in arenas for (max) 4,500 people?
- Will it works for smaller clubs/pubs (around 50 - 200 people)?
- Is a standalone poweramp the best choice for me? (this for example: http://www.thomann.de/se/rocktron_velocity100.htm)

What is my best option? I know some of you will tell me to sell the one I have and go buy the one with the poweramp, but I'm not really willing to spend around $1,250 (that is what i would be needed to put in between give or take) extra :(
I'm looking to spend around $950 to get "live gig"-ready. And, I don't want an amp/speaker that looks like a regular PA. I want to use a normal looking guitar cabinet. If there is a "powered cab" that looks like an Mesa 4x12 for example, I'm willing to pay for that if that solves my problems.

IF there isn't an option for me within my budget that will help me tour with my Kemper in venues for everything in between 50 - 4,500 people.. I'll leave my Kemper in my studio and go on tour with the singers Peavy 6505+ he has laying around in his house.

In Short:
Use your Marshall Cab. Get a EH Magnum 44 Poweramp (Rocktron Velocity will work as well). Get the Behringer FCB Board with Uno4Kemper Chip. Be happy.
Remember the 4x12 Cab/Poweramp you only need for onstage monitoring (Use the Monitor Outs with Cab Off) . FOH will get your profile straight out of the Main Outs of the Kemper.
I am using this setup with my Lunchbox Kemper since over 2 years and have played small clubs and big venues and open air festival stages. Always satisfied with this setup.

In Short:
Use your Marshall Cab. Get a EH Magnum 44 Poweramp (Rocktron Velocity will work as well). Get the Behringer FCB Board with Uno4Kemper Chip. Be happy.
Remember the 4x12 Cab/Poweramp you only need for onstage monitoring (Use the Monitor Outs with Cab Off) . FOH will get your profile straight out of the Main Outs of the Kemper.
I am using this setup with my Lunchbox Kemper since over 2 years and have played small clubs and big venues and open air festival stages. Always satisfied with this setup.

Cool! 3 questions though.

1) if you bypass the cab in your profile for going into a cab.. Won't the cab be bypassed when it goes to FOH as well?
2) haven't been playing live in like 8 years. Do I need a super long cable from my Kemper to the FOH mixing console, or do you usually plug it in somewhere behind the stage?
3) if I'm playing with my Kemper via FOH, will the other guitarist with his 6505+ and regular cab dissappear sound wise? Is there going to be any complication with my setup vs his live?

Thanks for the awesome answer btw.

Cool! 3 questions though.

1) if you bypass the cab in your profile for going into a cab.. Won't the cab be bypassed when it goes to FOH as well?

2) haven't been playing live in like 8 years. Do I need a super long cable from my Kemper to the FOH mixing console, or do you usually plug it in somewhere behind the stage?

3) if I'm playing with my Kemper via FOH, will the other guitarist with his 6505+ and regular cab dissappear sound wise? Is there going to be any complication with my setup vs his live?
Thanks for the awesome answer btw.

1) You just cable the PA/Cab into the Monitor Output and switch Monitor Cab Off. Cab sound will be off for you on stage and you can use it with your PA/Cab Combo while for FOH and Main Outs the Profile will be with Cab Sound - exactly like you dialed it in.

2)Kemper outs are balanced outs. You don't need a long cable for it - there will be cables and stage boxes in every club you play. To make sure just have a xlr cable with you - just for the (very unlikely) case there's no xlr cable left at the club you play.

3)Your Kemper will behave just like an amp. I am playing the Kemper Live the other guitarist in my band is playing my good olde 5150. No probs whatsoever. Both happy. Just think about the Kemper being an amp.

You're welcome!

Thank you so much again!
Last question. Is there an alternative to the Magnum? Within that price range? I'm having a hard time finding one for sale outside us. I usually buy stuff from Thomann, the big company in Germany. Cheap prices and fast delivery. I live in Sweden btw. American store works if Magnum is the one I should go for. Just irritating to have to wait like 2 weeks haha :)

magnum goes between the monitor output of the kemper and the cab. use a speaker cable between the magnum and the cab.

A bit late, but you could try the ISP Stealth. It's the only small-sized power amp still being made right now, as far as I can tell.

i would not play without poweramp and cab on stage, you will miss the rumble and live feeling. It works maybe with in ears, but only monitor is not good, especially whn the other guitarist plays a 6505

and this one is the best solution when you have the version without poweramp. built in in 5 minutes without loosing warranty

As a FOH guy, I would be as happy as a pig in shit if a guitarist gave me a direct output of his head with no stage volume to affect my mix, especially if it was a smaller place. Your mileage may vary based on the venue/engineer and the quality of the monitors

I'm sorry, English isn't my first language.. Are you being sarcastic or do you want a guitarist with his Kemper on stage? :p

I'm sorry, English isn't my first language.. Are you being sarcastic or do you want a guitarist with his Kemper on stage? :p

Not sarcastic, the less volume coming off the stage gives me more control over my house mix, especially in a small venue, so direct from kemper with no cab would be great.

I've heard good things about this magnum thingie. Not sure how reliable it is though,so you might get a backupp one?

And yeah arv_foh is right, no guitars on stage is great for the foh mix.less junk in the stage mics and np phasing with the guitars in the PA.also the monitors don't need to be that loud.again less phasing,and less prone to feedback.