need help with "lifeless" mix (fireball, pod, SSD)

ali3

Sep 14, 2008
Hey =)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3109806/Face to Ashes bam.mp3

update:

not mastered:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9281366/Face...0Mastering.mp3

mastered:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9281366/Face...er V 3.mp3

My Band recorded a Metalcore-song .We mixed/mastered this one.
We worked on it a for long time, but now we just dunno how to improve it.

I miss the punch and the dynnamics in this mix.
It is somehow "flat".

When i compare this to other productions i don't get this "feeeling" if u know what i mean =D

Guitars: ENGL Powerball + 4x V30 cabinet with a THE T.BONE MB75 (copy of SM57) through pod (= as interface)
Bass: AMPEG SVT 3 + 4x 10“ cabinet with the THE T.BONE MB75 + DI
Drums: Steven Slate and superior drummer
Vocals: SHURE SM58

thanks ;)

yeah . we used the pod as sound card to record with the mic .

i think this has a bad effect because of the A-D-converter =/
but that was the only way to record it.

oh yeees

as interface ^^

exactly ( english is not my native language =) )

could u or someone else tell something about the mix please ?

The Vocals sound like they're recorded in a huge hallway or with an impulse response/ reverb. Bit too much for my tastes. Lessen the reverb on the vocals.

Here's just a little funky idea to get some punch involved. On that first chuggy breakdown, when the palm mutes get a bit heavier; Copy all the guitars, EQ the copied guitars into the low regions and then mix them in. It might give that section some extra balls!

Snare sounds too distant, and there's some funky sounds going on with the snare...It sounds like there is some reverb or hall sample or something going off every time the snare hits...Sounds wierd. Also, WAY too much reverb on the vocals (as had been said).

the snare deal is really annoying, though. ALmost sounds like every snare hit also has a china or trash cymbal hit playing at the same time the snare sounds.

first : please dont take this as an offense, but please dont master this yourself. you mastering is horrible.

second : id learn how to mix vocals. you really need to bring these vocals forward in the mix with for example an 1176 and an la2a.
its also important to use a great mic and a great preamp (and a/d) to make vocals jump out of the speakers right into your face.

third : are you mixing on headphones or a hifi system? the whole thing has no definition and lacks punch. thats mostly the case when people mix
on systems like that as the lowend is muddy as hell there.
if you do, id not try any harder, you will not get your mix to a level that attracts people, im afraid.

again : no offense, just honest opinion (and i think a lot of people here will agree)

if you really want a well defined mix out of this, you need somehow who knows that stuff. its impossible to make this mix shine without a. knowledge and b. gear (at least a proper room with monitoring).

Question for you, dcb. I to do not mix with headphones, but I can't afford pro monitors right now (like KRKs). I have a good home stereo system. Should I mix with the Flat, or the "Rock" setting which boosts the lows amd highs. Then I will send the songs to an online mastering house that will master the songs for $20 each. Of course, If I get a record deal, than I could go the pro route.

If you can't afford "real" monitors, I suggest these. You'll be pleasantly surprised at their quality and price. They have incredibly flat response and great dynamic output. I recommend these little buggers to anyone who needs a stepping stone on the way to their first set of Adams, Yamahas, KRKs, etc.

DO NOT fall for the mini Alesis, M-Audios, or Samsons... They are noisy junk. The little Tascams are badass though :D