Need help with this cluttered mix!

You may wanna humanize those cymbals.

Try highpassing your guitars at 100hz. Highpass bass at 80.

And lay off the master bus compression a bit, although it seems like only the snare and cymals are pumping

Try that :)

Yea those cymbals are really annoying me too, especially at the end. I've been trying to work on them but they still elude me. But cool deal man, thanks for the info, I'll try that out and see what happens.

A really great improvement over the first one, much clearer! Things that maybe could improve: The mechanical sounding cymbals. Little harsh/metallic and 'too tight'. Maybe the snare can be a little more bright and less low frequencies, so that it sticks out a little more. And maybe more limiting/clipping instead of compression on the drums. The bass is a little too much highpassed for my taste. But the improvement is already there, it will be fine, the base sound is very nice I think.

Thanks! I totally remixed the whole thing. Im still looking to improve my drums too, so I'll try those points. Should there be any compression on the drums in Addictive? Or should I just rely on the master compressor?

I would always compress the drums before they go into the master to make them sound bigger, and it makes them easier to glue in the master because they'd sound more 'relaxed' after some compression too. But I never do too much (just a few dB), and when I have big peaks I rather try to solve it with EQ. I have to correct myself also: because in my previous post I meant not clipping/limiting the drumbus itsself, I meant the (drum) transients in the master.

But in general, your mix sounds really nice and has a nice natural vibe to it instead of going for total loudness only (or so it seems), which I really like. Still I think you can win some by using not too much compression on the master, and utilize more limiting for the finishing touch.

Oh, and I'm not a pro at all (far from, as you could hear on my own mixes). I'm still learning alot myself too, but I like to listen to other's stuff and do my best to give input. When someone disagrees, I like that too because that's what learning is all about. :)

Ok, I eq'd the guitars and bass a little more and tried to get the drums down a little more. Im still having trouble with the overheads though. We also added vocals which might make everything different now haha. What do you guys think about this version?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11047252/Ashland with Vox and Different Mix 7-13-11 (3).mp3

Was a few minutes too quick with my reply then, or too late (probably not that cause it's already alot better now). ;) The new version is really quite an improvement! The vocals work well too.

Hey dude, thank you for all of your input and advice. I really appreciate it and I'm glad you like it! I'm definitely trying to retain their "live" sound and vibe but still trying to smudge a little polish on there too.

No problem man, it sounds nice. Only thing I can think of now for the mix is trying to get a little more high-mids and highs in the mix. Except for the vocals maybe, they sound good to me.

I've been listening to it all day at work and thinking about how I can make the guitars a little more clear and exciting. I'm getting some Yamaha HS50's later today too. So I think I'm going to re-evaluate the mix once I get listen to it on those, because my M-Audio Studio Pro 3's are just frustrating :)

Edit: Scratch that, I'm getting HS80's :D