Need input on older MacBook's for location recording

C-Martin

Mar 8, 2009
Montreal
www.soundclick.com
I've been looking to acquire an older MacBook or MacBook Pro (2007-2008 ones)to do location recordings with ProTools 9. I will not be using this to do any mixing with or anything intensive like running amp sims and whatnot. I'd like to be able to run maybe a couple of Slate Trigger plugin's for snare and kick and some stock ProTools plugins but that's about it.

The reason i'm looking at older ones is because i don't have much funds for this right now and would like to find something around 500-600$ tops, and i don't trust cheaper laptop PC's with firewire. I've seen some Core 2 Duo macbooks for sale for about that price and have been wondering if they will be fine to track up to 16 simultaneous tracks without glitch and then be able to pop in a few stock plugins and trigger for a quick rough mix and listen. I know people are going to tell me you get what you pay for and i'll probably want to replace it in a year or two but my current financial situation isn't going to let me go any higher than that. I just need this laptop so i don't have to drag my computer tower every time i do location recordings (which is what i've been doing and it's getting REALLY old) and then will be transferring the sessions onto my PC for mixing.

My question is, some of those older ones don't have a dedicated graphics card, come with only 2GB of Ram and only support up to 3GB of Ram, how will that affect the performance of the machine on a DAW like ProTools? Can i get away with using one of those INTEL® GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELERATOR X3100 or do i absolutely need to get one with a ATI or nVidia card in it? I've always ran ProTools on at least 4GB of ram, would 2-3 be enough for this purpose? I've never used those older mac books so i have no idea how well they perform, any input would be appreciated.

I have a 2008 Macbook that I run Pro Tools 9 on for recording drums on location, never had an issue.

Should be fine just don't for god's sake put lion on a core 2 duo machine..
Instant Suck.
10.6.8 FTW

Are you guys all talking about the white/black macbooks or the pro aluminum models? I have a local person selling a 2007 white macbook, those with intel graphics, 2.0ghz and 2GB Ram for just 350$ in good condition and i'm wondering if those would work or if i need to get a pro aluminum model.

I don't like lion, i've tried it on the newer macbook that we had at my previous job and i didn't like how they changed certain things in it. I didn't know it actually slowed down the older processors, good to know! I already have the disks for snow leopard, can i roll back from lion with those disks? Some people upgrade theirs to lion to sell it and advertise it as "fully upgraded". I guess they think it will sell better that way.

I have a local person selling a 2007 white macbook, those with intel graphics, 2.0ghz and 2GB Ram for just 350$ in good condition and i'm wondering if those would work

that should be fine. just upgrade the ram to 4gb, will be cheap.

Cool, i grabbed a 2008 MacBook Pro 2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2MB of Ram. I'll see how it does as is, if it's doesn't cut it i'll upgrade to 4MB and see how that goes. Thanks for the input guys :kickass:

I also have 2008 white Macbook (non-Pro) with 2GB of RAM. It's actually my main computer for tracking (given the fact that I do the mixes at different location on a desktop computer) and I track drums without any performance or latency issues!... 16 channels through Saffire Pro 40 + ADA8000 (through ADAT) on PT9 and everything works like a charm!

Good luck

I've tracked up to 24 inputs on my 5 year old MBP on location @ 48 / 24 with no problems.

And it's only got 2MB of RAM.