Older 80's or Modern Guitars

The Rhone

Nov 8, 2006
Bromley, Kent
Just been hunting some old Jacksons/Charvels and BC Richs from the 80's on eBay. Are the older guitars a firm bet, or is it wiser to go for the more modern LTD, Jackson and Ibanez. My reservations with the 80's guitars were they wern't designed for tuning down, plus they're old and may require more shop repair/serviceing but I've heard build and sound quality may be better on the older guitars.

So I thought I'd throw this one out there and see the responce I get. I've not really got into the LTD thing so not 100% up on them and I'm coming into a bit of money soon so kind of want to make the right choice.

Thought please?

I would say any USA built models from those makers are a sure bet provided they were taken care of. I'd just make sure my budget included at least a new set up and maybe a fret job.

There really isn't anything different about a more modern guitar to better suit it for low tunings. Same materials, same scale lengths, etc. They had the same bridges back then too for the most part. Low tuning on a standard scale length guitar involves the same compromises now as it ever did if you know what I mean.

If you're looking for a cheaper guitar, I think the modern build quality is probably better with most brands.

I would say any USA built models from those makers are a sure bet provided they were taken care of. I'd just make sure my budget included at least a new set up and maybe a fret job.

There really isn't anything different about a more modern guitar to better suit it for low tunings. Same materials, same scale lengths, etc. They had the same bridges back then too for the most part. Low tuning on a standard scale length guitar involves the same compromises now as it ever did if you know what I mean.

If you're looking for a cheaper guitar, I think the modern build quality is probably better with most brands.

How do you think the LTD#s compare to the old Charvels?

well, i'd say that charvels are MUCH better than any LTD. they're fairly cheap, yet very high quality as far as i am concerned.
you gotta like the charvel feel, though. way different from the LTD feel...LTDs feel "flimsy" when compared to a charvel....very lightweight and generally just not as massive as the charvel. however, that "flimsy" feel is what makes the LTD more of a shredder guitar imho (talking strat style ltd of course, not the eclipse series e.g.).
and before anyone starts crying because there are lots of 80s shredders playing charvels, yes, you're right, but the LTDs still got a thinner neck and less fretboard radius, making them more comparable to ibanez RG series than to a charvel.

but dammit, charvel's ROCK ;-)

as for the actual thread question....well, it depends :) let's just say that if you're not looking at super cheap modern guitars, or old used guitars that are obviously beat up respectively, both will be just fine. depends on what you're looking for really....modern guitars *tend* to have slightly thinner necks and be more lightweight (but it really depends on the model you're looking at..) whereas older guitars tend to have a little more meat. whatever you prefer.
as far as i am concerned, a guitar has to have a good natural sound (=good tone wood) and a sturdy build quality. anything else can be customized using different pickups, hardware etc. just my .02$

Check out Charvel, Tokai and Aria(Used), and you should be able to find alot of kickass 80's guitars.

the Charvel model6 kick some serious ass!

my 90-94 ESPs are the best ESP's I've played (and there were plenty of the new models among those).
my '91 Robin is quality-wise comparable to the new 2007 one...the old one has a way thinner neck though.

I think if you're on a budget it's way easier to get a good but cheap guitar nowadays new than 15 years back...BUT I still think the top of the line models from back than are as good or even superior to todays comparable models.

just the cheaper ones are better these days or you can get a better guitar for cheap than you would have 15 yrs back IMO.

go with the old Jackson USA, BC Rich USA, ESP etc...they're IMO better than todays LTD etc.

well, a USA jackson will be miles better than most guitars IMHO. Definitely watch out for the frets on older guitars though- if it's seen a lot of use, it may need fret stoning or even re-fretted. I've got a '91 Jackson USA RR and a 2001 Jackson USA Kelly- the RR is pretty beat up but it has a deeper, heavier tone, possibly from better wood, I don't know, but all the hardware, pickups etc. are the same. The Kelly is good but it is much more trebly and doesn't have the depth of tone of the RR '91...

I had an affordable USA jackson Dinky reverse 2 (first to come with reverse headstock without being custom shop, no inlays on a ebony fretboard) and an ESP M-II at some point.

The Jackson owned the ESP in every department, so I sold the ESP.

I don't have the Jackson anymore because I needed the money but... I still miss that guitar everyday.

I'm a jackson/charvel guy. although I love the more hi-end LTD and Schecters.

but even the cheaper jackson's feel very solid and are damn good axes...