Need mastering practice? Use my last mix.

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Most of the threads here are centered around mixing practice. I thought it would be a good change to give people a chance at some mastering work.

I've uploaded my mix of the Harlott single 'In the Black', off their latest EP 'None'. This is one of the latest mixes to come out of here, and I'm confident that it should be balanced well enough for you to get some good practice from mastering it.

In the Black Mix File

The original master:

Find more Harlott: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harlott/59443716956?sk=app_2405167945

The one thing I would ask is that you not put your resulting master in your folio and advertise it as your own work. This is strictly for the purpose of practice, and as you can see the original master has already been pressed and released.

Cheers, and have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice song. The singer reminds me of the Stam1na singer but in English.
If I had the time this would be fun to master. I look forward to what people can do with this.

Thanks for that one, Ermz. Amazing mix work.

Can we have a little info on what you used to do your mastering?

Can we have a little info on what you used to do your mastering?

The band were here and ready to take it to the pressing plant when I started, so I didn't have much longer than about 15 minutes to do it.

From memory I ran it through the GSSL on more conservative settings, possibly 2:1, 30 or 10 attack, 100 release (for some movement). The rest was linear phase EQ and FG-X.

The band were here and ready to take it to the pressing plant when I started, so I didn't have much longer than about 15 minutes to do it.

From memory I ran it through the GSSL on more conservative settings, possibly 2:1, 30 or 10 attack, 100 release (for some movement). The rest was linear phase EQ and FG-X.

Why wasting your time on mastering when the mix is that well balanced anyway ;)

GSSL is harware, right?

And on the FGX, you only used the limiter, or added another layer of compression?

Again, amazing work.

On the FG-X I only used the maximizer. It tends to work best by itself, since I had little time I didn't want to waste it by trying to combine or gain stage other maximizers. The GSSL is indeed hardware.

I try to 'waste' most of my time on the mix, so hopefully there is as little to do on the master as possible. It isn't the first time I've left the master to the last possible moment :lol:

Cool to hear all these masters so far. Keep em coming!

Nice work, guys! Glad folks are catching on that less is more in some cases.

I really have to try Pro-L out at some point. Have heard good things about it. No idea which settings to mix into though!

Compression in mastering is usually tough. The colour has to be just right for the music, so the same compressors and/or settings don't work across all projects. I think in this case it could be a little too squashed, and maybe a touch too scooped/abrasive? The mix itself has some edgy fizz stuff going on, so exaggerating it may not be the ideal thing to do!

thanks a lot for your feedback emrin!
yes, boosting the highs and lows was a not so smart idea, i see :rofl: (i probably had the monitoring-volume too low)
here is a second try, with less squashing and less eq-ing: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7349298_4403672_106137

in both masters i made a little notch at ~2.7kHz, because i guess i heard a small resonance there. do you guys hear this too, or could it be my monitoring-situation?

thanks!