Need opinions on rough mix, new Shadowdance

Skinny Viking

¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?
Oct 10, 2007
Philly
www.facebook.com
Hey guys!

Ok I was hoping you could maybe give a listen to this and maybe point out some problems you're hearing or suggestions to make it better. Overall for a rough mix I'm pretty ok with it. Only thing I can't seem to make up my mind about is the acoustic sound. I was trying to really capture something more "organic" sounding I guess. Its not the most important parts of the song but I still can't decide if its a little too harsh sounding or not. Other than that I should point out that there are no keyboards in here yet, like I said its a 1st draft mix of the tune. Ok, all suggestions, tips, comments, etc ... would be greatly appreciated. Song is called "One More Taste"

Cheers!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=879713

Oh yeah I guess I should also add that its just a bullshit 128 mp3 ... only version of it I had on my pc at work ;)

and no mastering really, just my normal AC1 plugin on the master bus .. driving overall mix about 5.5 db hotter, 2-3 db gain reduction in loudest parts, overall something like 2:1 comp ratio

the Charles Dye thing

Loving the 12-string...I think the verb is a bit too drywall-y though. Raise the volume on the vocals a bit. A good voice with a good melody needs to stick out! Maybe a tiny bit of delay on the vocals as they sound a bit dry when they do stick out.

Bass drum sounds a bit SM58-ish to me which I usually don't like, but I suppose it's better than a bass without any click to it. Excellent song though!

Thanks man! What would you suggest as far as the verb on the acoustics? Just a different, maybe bigger room sound or something else? How about the actual sound of them, any EQ thoughts or are they cool as is? I think (I'm at work right now so I'll have to check later) I only have some light compression on them and I only put enough verb to give some depth. Like I said, this is just a 1st draft. I have no automation or anything going on anywhere. Vocals will probably come up a bit but only after I have all the piano and strings keyboards mixed in. As a matter of fact, its even missing some small extra backing vocal parts ... as far as the vocal sound, I do have a slight echo on there and I think just a hint of verb, again, just to add a little depth. Didn't want to over wet the vox but if you think it needs more I can try it and see how it sounds.

Other than that, thanks for the compliment on the tune ... always good to hear at least someone doesn't think I'm writing shit music! hahahaha

Cheers!

Ummmm, could anyone else please give an opinion also? It would be great to get a few different thoughts on this from other people also ... I'd appreciate it :)

Please?

Probably a larger room size on the verb would help. You don't even need a lot, but a larger room size helps a lot. The EQ sounded good to me. If it were me recording the 12 strings I would have done two takes panned close miced, hard left and right, but that's probably my folk/balled roots screaming out again. I find the acoustic in the Incubus song "Wish You Here" really good along with electric guitar.

Well, for the intro maybe that. The rest of the song sounds good the way you have them. I'm always partial to embellishing intros.