Need opinions .. guitar tone test for new Shadowdance song

Skinny Viking

¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?
Oct 10, 2007
Philly
www.facebook.com
Yo!

Ok so here is a rough mix I'm starting for another Shadowdance song. 1st link is actually the entire tune but without vocals ... I'm just trying to build a good foundation 1st. 2nd clip is only like 30 seconds long but its with different settings on the guitar. Just curious if anyone hears a difference and if so, which do you think sounds better? I know what I think already, want to see what you white devils have to say about it. Tune is called "Walking With Fate"

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/594184/Walk Mix Test 3.mp3

and the 30 second clip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/594184/Test with Vintage.mp3

New geetars sound more saturated and a tad boomy, if you fix the boomyness it's an improovement fo' sho'! ;)
guessing the name of the clip you put some vintage saturation on them?
Me likes!

hahaha

actually both clips have the same saturation on it ... my AC2 plugin. The one in the full song has it set on "modern" with a bias of +5 whereas the small clip has it set on "vintage" with the bias rolled back to -5 .... some adjustments to the output volume on each so that I get the same level but really thats about it. Just wasn't sure if anyone else would hear a difference between the 2. Honestly, I can't tell if I do or not. Thing is, last 2 songs have had this on the guitars as well so I really didn't change anything there.

As for the extra boominess. I think thats coming from the bass cause I also swapped out the DIGI EQIII plugs I had on there for the McDSP ones and as Tim was pointing out in another thread, the McDSP eqs sound better but are not nearly as aggressive as the EQIII plugs so I probably need to adjust the amount of Q in some spots and maybe even roll up my hi pass a bit higher.

Don't worry bro, not long now until I put them vox in there and post the full song ;) George was over on monday night and I was playing it for him ... he was just like "my fuckin god man, this dude is a monster!" :D

hahaha

actually both clips have the same saturation on it ... my AC2 plugin. The one in the full song has it set on "modern" with a bias of +5 whereas the small clip has it set on "vintage" with the bias rolled back to -5 .... some adjustments to the output volume on each so that I get the same level but really thats about it. Just wasn't sure if anyone else would hear a difference between the 2. Honestly, I can't tell if I do or not. Thing is, last 2 songs have had this on the guitars as well so I really didn't change anything there.

As for the extra boominess. I think thats coming from the bass cause I also swapped out the DIGI EQIII plugs I had on there for the McDSP ones and as Tim was pointing out in another thread, the McDSP eqs sound better but are not nearly as aggressive as the EQIII plugs so I probably need to adjust the amount of Q in some spots and maybe even roll up my hi pass a bit higher.

Don't worry bro, not long now until I put them vox in there and post the full song ;) George was over on monday night and I was playing it for him ... he was just like "my fuckin god man, this dude is a monster!" :D

ah well, seems I thought to hear a difference :lol:
Yeah using other plugs sometimes demands to rethink a few things^^
Cant wait to hear the full version :D & thanks for the "monster" :devil:
:lol:

ja it wasn't meant to be like a trick question or anything ... (ha ha fooled you) :D

I just couldn't tell if there was anything better or worse about going with the "modern" setting or the "vintage" ... the last 2 songs have been set on "vintage" but with a higher bias setting. I just wanted to see if anyone heard something more pleasing in the sound in one or the other. To be honest, I think the "vintage" has a slightly more "squishy" feel to it while the modern is a bit more straightforward. That falls in line with what the 2 settings are supposed to do.

I still haven't been able to determine how much more aggressive the EQIII is in its lo/hi pass compared to the filterbank stuff but that boominess you said you're hearing may be the result of just that ... using smoother but less aggressive plugs. I have my low cut on the guitars set to around 80 on the EQIII ... I may need to move that up to like 95 or so on the filterbank eqs and see how that sounds

wow

44 views and only 2 comments besides mine ... both from Marco

Dude no BrOOtal metalcore/hardcore/djent/deathcore and also no SSL/Slate/POD. What are you expecting?lol

Well I dont hear difference. If there is a difference it is really small. The guitars sound a little boxy, there is some strange things in the midrange. I dont dig too much the palm mutes, sounds kinda hollow.

Dude no BrOOtal metalcore/hardcore/djent/deathcore and also no SSL/Slate/POD. What are you expecting?lol

Well I dont hear difference. If there is a difference it is really small. The guitars sound a little boxy, there is some strange things in the midrange. I dont dig too much the palm mutes, sounds kinda hollow.

well, you're ALMOST right :lol: No ssl/deathcore/slate ... BUT, the guitars are all POD :p

That might explain some of the strange mid / hollow palm mute stuff .. maybe

But hey, thanks for at least taking the time to check it out and leave a comment man .. I really appreciate it :headbang: