Need some advice on this mix(Drop G djent ish)

Sounds great. Some might think the kick is too "clicky" but that's just how I like it when I do this type of music. Adds a lot to the tone of the guitars. I don't see anything wrong with this mix without being REALLY picky. Great job dude I would love to hear more.

Sounds great. Some might think the kick is too "clicky" but that's just how I like it when I do this type of music. Adds a lot to the tone of the guitars. I don't see anything wrong with this mix without being REALLY picky. Great job dude I would love to hear more.

haha thanks man, i am really picky tho :p
idk there i just something about it that im not happy with yet.
I mean i know its still solid.

Just i feel it could be better.

Well in that case I'll throw my "picky" suggestions in. I'm the same dude and honestly that's how any self respecting mixer/engineer should be. So. The guitars could use a little work. At times they tend to muddy up some. Sounds like you could trim a little of the mud, 250hz, and see what that does to them. Usually when I do that, I compensate with a little bit of 100hz so that the low end doesn't get completely lost. OR you can throw an EQ on the master and cut 250hz out of the whole mix and see what that does. I've recently started doing this and it's my go to fix for my personal muddy mixes. Regardless the guitars do sit just a little high in the mix, so if you don't cut anything out of them I would at least pull the level down just a little bit to help them sit better in the mix. That's really the only things I can force myself to bring out about your mix. It really does sound spot on. OH levels are in the right place. Kick and snare sound great. Bass level is line with the guitars and vocals sit really well in the mix.

What are using for a bass tone? Amp or sim? If you have the Sansamp plugin, I would throw that little bit of genius on the bass track or aux and add some "gritty" to the bass. Pull up the high mids and highs and add some distortion to it. Personally I like my bass as raunchy as possible without sounding like shit. I think you could really benefit from that type of bass tone in this mix. The bass is there but that's just it, it's just there. Nothing special.

So now that I've typed an essay let's recap. Cut 250hz in guitars/boost 100hz to compensate or cut 250hz in the whole mix. I would try cutting it out of the whole mix. If all else pull the level down in the guitars just a little bit. Make bass more raunchy.

Would you be willing to send me over some wav's or if your using pro tools the actual session file? I would love to fuck with it some and see what I could do with it. I ain't gonna steal your shit, hell I'll send you one of my tracks and let you fuck around with that. Just message me and let me know.

Hope all my nonsense and gibberish helps ;)

Well in that case I'll throw my "picky" suggestions in. I'm the same dude and honestly that's how any self respecting mixer/engineer should be. So. The guitars could use a little work. At times they tend to muddy up some. Sounds like you could trim a little of the mud, 250hz, and see what that does to them. Usually when I do that, I compensate with a little bit of 100hz so that the low end doesn't get completely lost. OR you can throw an EQ on the master and cut 250hz out of the whole mix and see what that does. I've recently started doing this and it's my go to fix for my personal muddy mixes. Regardless the guitars do sit just a little high in the mix, so if you don't cut anything out of them I would at least pull the level down just a little bit to help them sit better in the mix. That's really the only things I can force myself to bring out about your mix. It really does sound spot on. OH levels are in the right place. Kick and snare sound great. Bass level is line with the guitars and vocals sit really well in the mix.

What are using for a bass tone? Amp or sim? If you have the Sansamp plugin, I would throw that little bit of genius on the bass track or aux and add some "gritty" to the bass. Pull up the high mids and highs and add some distortion to it. Personally I like my bass as raunchy as possible without sounding like shit. I think you could really benefit from that type of bass tone in this mix. The bass is there but that's just it, it's just there. Nothing special.

So now that I've typed an essay let's recap. Cut 250hz in guitars/boost 100hz to compensate or cut 250hz in the whole mix. I would try cutting it out of the whole mix. If all else pull the level down in the guitars just a little bit. Make bass more raunchy.

Would you be willing to send me over some wav's or if your using pro tools the actual session file? I would love to fuck with it some and see what I could do with it. I ain't gonna steal your shit, hell I'll send you one of my tracks and let you fuck around with that. Just message me and let me know.

Hope all my nonsense and gibberish helps ;)

acttualy as far as the bass goes thats pretty much what i have.

this bass is pretty grindy to be honest, its just blending with the guitars.

i use 3 bass tracks all together.

Reamp with sansamp

track 1
sansamp reamp (for the body)

Track 2
I copy and paste that first sansamp track then add a sansamp simulator for all out grit

Track 3
is a ts808 reamp.

then i just blend them all together.

Honestly its pretty grindy.

here is a bass reamp that i have done so you can see what my processing sounds like.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13978357/MY BASS TONE SANSAMP_Sansamp Sim_ TS808 BELIE MY BURIAL TRACK.mp3

You will have to turn it up because i exported that without a limiter.
But you will see that i do use a grindy tone

The kick actually has a lot o low end to it.
more than enough.

I mean yeah its clicky but that's how i want it.

I get the same thing a lot. People tell me my kicks have no low end but what they fail to do is hear the mix through a pair of ear buds. Then you can really tell what a mix is doing. Monitors are only good for so much, you gotta test your mixes out in ear buds. Or mix with ear buds which is what I've started doing myself.

I get the same thing a lot. People tell me my kicks have no low end but what they fail to do is hear the mix through a pair of ear buds. Then you can really tell what a mix is doing. Monitors are only good for so much, you gotta test your mixes out in ear buds. Or mix with ear buds which is what I've started doing myself.

+1
I generally like to test my mixes on as many different speaker setups as I can, monitors, cans, car stereos, earbuds, etc.

Chris, your mix is solid. I agree with Robert though, a little fat could be cut off those guitars but otherwise everything sounds good to me.

+1
I generally like to test my mixes on as many different speaker setups as I can, monitors, cans, car stereos, earbuds, etc.

Chris, your mix is solid. I agree with Robert though, a little fat could be cut off those guitars but otherwise everything sounds good to me.

Thanks man means a lot! :)

Honestly i think it might just be the tones that im not liking.i hateeee my snare hahaha. maybe its just me tho

The mix as a whole is pretty dry. The snare could come up and be given some sustain as the only thing that comes through is the attack. Kick is good but needs some low-end. Guitars are too loud as well. Bass doesn't cut enough in my opinion.

Sounds better than most stuff posted here though. Good job.

The mix as a whole is pretty dry. The snare could come up and be given some sustain as the only thing that comes through is the attack. Kick is good but needs some low-end. Guitars are too loud as well. Bass doesn't cut enough in my opinion.

Sounds better than most stuff posted here though. Good job.

Thanks.

Well honestly i only spend about a hour mixing it so far, and i know its not perfect yet, i just need to know everything that others are hearing that im not catching, only reason i asked.

but as in dry what do you mean?
like idk what i should really do to get that out.

because it deff doesn't need anymore highshelf on the mastering buss that i have now.

and with the bass you are talking about needs more grit cutting in the mix right?

because i think the low end is fine as is, maybe even a little to much low end.

The snare seems to just be disappearing. What are you doing with the guitars? Sounds decent overall.

Guitars
pod farm

bass sansamp.

and yeah fuck that snare brah! haha

like i like the tone of it at times, but i fully get what your saying, i just need to work with it a little more.

Guitars
pod farm

bass sansamp.

and yeah fuck that snare brah! haha

like i like the tone of it at times, but i fully get what your saying, i just need to work with it a little more.

Wow. Guitars are Podfarm? I went through my "digital" period of trying to get good tones. Podx3, Pod Pro, Podfarm, Revalver etc.... and I never once got anything close to what I wanted. So I became seriously Anti digital when it came to my guitars but you have done a great job at getting a good tone. I'm a HUGE tone freak when it comes to my guitars and your guitar tone is something I would be proud of. And that is saying a lot. So I said fuck it and got a 5150 and haven't looked back cause you can never go wrong with a 5150.

Bout to post up an adjustment to a mix I posted a month ago or so. It's my Katy Perry E.T. Djent/Prog cover. Check it out if you didn't hear it the first time I posted it up and let me know what you think. I think our "thought" process towards mixing and tones is along the same lines so hearing opinions from other people that have the same outlook goes a long way.

Wow. Guitars are Podfarm? I went through my "digital" period of trying to get good tones. Podx3, Pod Pro, Podfarm, Revalver etc.... and I never once got anything close to what I wanted. So I became seriously Anti digital when it came to my guitars but you have done a great job at getting a good tone. I'm a HUGE tone freak when it comes to my guitars and your guitar tone is something I would be proud of. And that is saying a lot. So I said fuck it and got a 5150 and haven't looked back cause you can never go wrong with a 5150.

Bout to post up an adjustment to a mix I posted a month ago or so. It's my Katy Perry E.T. Djent/Prog cover. Check it out if you didn't hear it the first time I posted it up and let me know what you think. I think our "thought" process towards mixing and tones is along the same lines so hearing opinions from other people that have the same outlook goes a long way.

haha yeah man, just a lot of processing on them.

I am planing on doing 5150 reamps on this.

But a dude from a band bumped my mic last week and i was like nooooooooooooooo :(

tried to re mic it yesterday and just have not found the sweet spot again yet :/

so hoping i get that before i have to release this song, but i think ill get it done in time.

and yeah man i agree, seems like we kinda have the same taste.
like others might now care for my kick and stuff, but hey that's what im going for lol.

The kick is about the only thing im not going to really touch in this mix to be honest, its just how i pictured it and want it.

everything else mahhh haha its ight but not good enough for me to like it yet.

haha yeah man, just a lot of processing on them.

I am planing on doing 5150 reamps on this.

But a dude from a band bumped my mic last week and i was like nooooooooooooooo :(

tried to re mic it yesterday and just have not found the sweet spot again yet :/

so hoping i get that before i have to release this song, but i think ill get it done in time.

and yeah man i agree, seems like we kinda have the same taste.
like others might now care for my kick and stuff, but hey that's what im going for lol.

The kick is about the only thing im not going to really touch in this mix to be honest, its just how i pictured it and want it.

everything else mahhh haha its ight but not good enough for me to like it yet.

I agree. Don't touch the kick. Kick sounds perfect. Change the kick and the WHOLE tone of the mix changes. I don't know what everyone else is listening to this mix through but just because it "sounds" like it's not there through monitors, doesn't mean it isn't.

maybe you should replace the snare... I found it not so good also, I've got some yamaha mushashi oak snare samples that sounds great, somthing like that will be cool I think. let me know if you'd like me to share

The kick is great, just needs some more low end to help with the foundation of the mix. Bass low end is fine, but it yeah it needs more mid range grit to poke through those guitars.

The mix is dry as in everything is right up in front, not much depth to the mix at all. This could be what you are going for though.