Metalcore mix(sorta TDWP MMI ish maybe)

Nice result with pod farm! I like it!
May I ask you which amp models you are using to create that sound? or is it more post-processing/impulses than the actual pod sound?

Nice result with pod farm! I like it!
May I ask you which amp models you are using to create that sound? or is it more post-processing/impulses than the actual pod sound?

hey man it was just the cali D plate.
threadplate cab.
condenser mic.

its EQed i also made a pretty big cut at 4K

it was -6,1 Db

snare just doesn't sit in any of the mixes posted, sounds like it's smashed to pieces by the master limiter or something, really thin and not punchy. love the guitar tone though! "what amp?" "AMP? HAHAHA", gosh I love today's music scene

snare just doesn't sit in any of the mixes posted, sounds like it's smashed to pieces by the master limiter or something, really thin and not punchy. love the guitar tone though! "what amp?" "AMP? HAHAHA", gosh I love today's music scene

I fully agree with you on this, its something im working on right now actually.
This is just pre production for thins bands album, so we are just working and mapping all the stuff out for the album.

The band is wanting a snare sound like on the new a plea for purging album.
right now im blending slate 11a and 12a.

would you maybe have any info on how to get that snare sound from that album?

honestly is just sounds like snare 12 to me but i could be wrong, maybe there is just something im messing up on in the snare buss.

I fully agree with you on this, its something im working on right now actually.
This is just pre production for thins bands album, so we are just working and mapping all the stuff out for the album.

The band is wanting a snare sound like on the new a plea for purging album.
right now im blending slate 11a and 12a.

would you maybe have any info on how to get that snare sound from that album?

honestly is just sounds like snare 12 to me but i could be wrong, maybe there is just something im messing up on in the snare buss.

when it comes to Slate I'm limited to just a couple o' .gogs with kicks and snares from the 1.5 version, nothing above 10. but if you want a super punchy snare that rocks when mastered, mix with a temporary mastering chain containing enough limiters to push it up to commercial level. put Gclip on something like a return plugin slot (i.e. slot i7 and i8 in Cubase 5) on the snare track and drag the clipping back a bit and boost it. now you can move the fader of the channel up without raising the peak. and slate samples are notoriously "dead", so lots and lots of Z4 (room) before the clipper, but after the compressor.

EQ-wise, just boost the shit out of the 150-200hz range. hipass it at like 12-13khz to remove crap frequencies and then boost with a wide Q at around 6-8khz. narrow cut at 350-500hz and a wider cut at 800hz-3khz. compress it to shit with like 15-20 ms attack and ~100ms release. get the top-end wash from the bottom snare mic by using the same EQ as the top (without the hipass) and changing the attack of the compressor to like 1-5ms and bring down the threshold a bit.
I've tried this on like 5 snares now (with some variation ofcourse) and have gotten fairy good results every time.

here's an example exactly that, using the Aluminium snare in Metal Foundry along with Snare 10 z1&z4
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10612702/Letters from the Colony/Tillmord_OFFICIAL.mp3
listened to some TDWP as reference for this, so I figured it might help :)

when it comes to Slate I'm limited to just a couple o' .gogs with kicks and snares from the 1.5 version, nothing above 10. but if you want a super punchy snare that rocks when mastered, mix with a temporary mastering chain containing enough limiters to push it up to commercial level. put Gclip on something like a return plugin slot (i.e. slot i7 and i8 in Cubase 5) on the snare track and drag the clipping back a bit and boost it. now you can move the fader of the channel up without raising the peak. and slate samples are notoriously "dead", so lots and lots of Z4 (room) before the clipper, but after the compressor.

EQ-wise, just boost the shit out of the 150-200hz range. hipass it at like 12-13khz to remove crap frequencies and then boost with a wide Q at around 6-8khz. narrow cut at 350-500hz and a wider cut at 800hz-3khz. compress it to shit with like 15-20 ms attack and ~100ms release. get the top-end wash from the bottom snare mic by using the same EQ as the top (without the hipass) and changing the attack of the compressor to like 1-5ms and bring down the threshold a bit.
I've tried this on like 5 snares now (with some variation ofcourse) and have gotten fairy good results every time.

Right on man, ill try all that out.
Ill post a up date of that second mix whenever i get a chance tonight.

Yeah honestly the only thing i do not like in the mix is the snare just is not giving me that in your face feeling. i think after i get the snare and everything sounding great and get the vocals in there it will sound pretty solid.

Right on man, ill try all that out.
Ill post a up date of that second mix whenever i get a chance tonight.

Yeah honestly the only thing i do not like in the mix is the snare just is not giving me that in your face feeling. i think after i get the snare and everything sounding great and get the vocals in there it will sound pretty solid.

snares that are in the face are just lovely if they're sounding good and aren't messing up the mix! like Periphery's debut album, I think that's all S2.0, really dry but not dead. anyways, I'm waiting for the mix man. good luck! :)