Need some advices for Krank recording

Arkasiana

Sep 6, 2007
Hi all,

I introduce myself: i'm keyboarder and i have a death metal band. Me and my guitarist have a home studio where we record our demo cd.

We always pick up some advices on this forum, and we use it a lot. However we haven't the sound we want. The problem is the guitar.

Our gear:
Ltd MH400 > Od820 Maxon > Isp Noisegate > Krank rev series one head > Framus 2x12 with V30 cabs > sm57 > twinQ Joemeek > Edirol Fa101 > Cubase4 > Near05Experience.
On the guitars tracks i've put the Andy's C4.

We try to base our works on those who have a krank and post samples on the forum but our sound is rather cold and loud. I find it icky!

Here is the position of my sm57:
framussm57positioncopy.jpg

Here is the link to listening the sample called "V30 test":
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=442255

To anyone who maybe able to help me, thanks a lot!

Arka

Try the other speaker. You will notice that each one have is own character. It can make huge difference.
That's why I prefer 4x12 cabs. There's more options.

Try the other speaker. You will notice that each one have is own character. It can make huge difference.
That's why I prefer 4x12 cabs. There's more options.

Thanks for confirming that, I was recording my rev through a 4x12 Thermion V30 and each speaker sounded a little different, thought i was going crazy.

I was going to say that it sounds like you may want to increase the overall volume coming out of the speakers. Then I scrolled back up and realized that you are coming out of a 2x12, which could also be the issue. Also, you said you think it's the guitar -- are you using active pups?

Even if i up the mids, the sound is always the same: aggressive and too squeaky. As a phone effect...Do you put some others effects as well as the Andy's C4 and a light equalization in order to reduce the fizz?
When i listen to the krank's sounds on this forum, they are all warm and precise. Mine is cold and it's fizzing from everywhere.

Well the fizz lives anywhere from 6k up, so you might consider a shelving filter set at a pretty extreme slope, and sweeping the frequencies until the fizz goes away, then reducing the slope as much as possible. Also, does that fizz occur in the room tone? You might try adjusting the settings on the amp itself...

Damn bit OT but I love your drum tone :p How do you get it so punchy? DFHS I assume? :Smokin: Guitars are a bit scooped sounding.

Thanks, it's dfhs indeed! That makes the drum punchy is andy's kick and snare, und many different reverbs. I use psp vintage warmer for the dynamic (a bit).

Metaltastic: thanks, the fact to reduce the fizz direct from the amp help me much. I'm going to work on it for a better sound.

Andys kick? I can never get that much body out of it!!! Ive been trying for a while but straight off its really farty and thin sounding :cry:

Btw, are you a female with a Krank and recording knowledge? :Smokin:

The_Shred: You can get the andy's kick and snare (drumagog files) on the FTP. And you mix this with dfhs for example. I mixed andy's kick (30%) and dfhs's kick (70%) both.
You must equalize the dfhs's kick for a good result, and have a good reverb on it.
I'm a female indeed, and as I didn't found good musicians, I decided to have a home studio in my house with the help of forums etc... this one is the best i ever seen. That allow me to find a guitarist with who i share the home studio nowadays, and find a drummer too.

Radd: thanks, but it's my guitarist who played (he'll be glad that you like his nemesis's cover)...and me I'm a keyboarder. :kickass:

Yarsh I have the kick but I havent really blended it with anything so ill give that a go thanks :) Im almost exactly the same, cant find any decent musicians so I started racking up my bit of kit at home and recording my solo project! This forum kicks ass, glad its serving us both well :)
:kickass:

Radd: ahah no prob :lol:

The_Shred: i'm glad that i can help you :) and to see that i'm not alone with this musicians problem ahah! Plus, i think krank is the best, i advise you one! after it's a particulary sound...i'm an addict!:kickass:

Check out the new test i made with the GuitarHack's good advices: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=442255

those called new test with dark. What do you think about?

i think krank is the best, i advise you one!

Very valid comment however I am now actually armless and legless due to purchasing my Mesa Dual Recto not long ago which is also great....its tough dialing in a good tone with my nose :lol:

Yeah I like it! The guitar tone is.....almost perfectly spot on Rob Zombie. Not sure if you like his stuff? But I do mean it as a compliment :p Tis very niceeee :)

Did you play guitar on that clip? Or were you recording somebody at the time?