need some help with my sound (CHANGO SAMPLES, POD FARM etc)

seb@revenant

New Metal Member
Jan 2, 2012
Germany
i always felt like i needed a second opinion on my mixes + help...
give me some constructive feedback and help me to improve my mix :p

stuff i used:

guitars - pod farm
drums - chango (programmed)
bass - orange tree cherry something... (programmed)

vocals are still missing since i thought the first step would be to improve my instrumental only sound

no synths on this one cuz i felt like this band wouldn't want to go for that kind of sound

I'D REALLY APPRECIATE FEEDBACK OF ANY KIND SINCE I NEVER REALLY RECEIVED ANY QUALIFIED FEEDBACK ON MY WORK UNTIL NOW:)

the song im talkin about:

if you think i can help you with some info on my mix just go ahead and ask... i will answer your questions

thank you
-seb

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good man. Only thing that caught my attention in a negative way is the kick is too low in the mix. Bring it up 1 or 2db and you'll have a great mix dude.

You didn't mix the drums at all though did you?

yes. punch in more volume into the kick. unfortunately it goes down in the mix.
nevertheless it sounds freaking awesome dude! the guitars and bass blow my mind! can you give us some information concerning your processing and mastering chain?

k, i'll try putting up the volume of my kick :D

like tommy said i didnt really do much to the drums
they sound pretty pre-processed and i just did some eqing and volume tweaking...
guitars are pod farm like i said above (TS -> Cali -> Treadcab :pPP)

bass is orange tree cherry picked samples ... they were pretty cheap and sounded cool so i decided to give em a try.
my bass chain is a comp, tubescreamer, that ampeg(i guess) sim in pod farm + some EQs mainly getting rid of the 500hz and boosting the 1k/2k
that's all with the processing

my mastering chain isn't really special either :D
just an EQ getting rid of some lo-freq rumble--->comp--->gclip
that's all

hope this could help :D
thank you for the positive feedback!

there's one thing i still haven't figuered out yet...
there is an amount of freqs that shouldnt be there
if i compare my mix to other mixes of bands of the same genre mine sounds kind of dull and muddy...
i got the feeling that it's some problem with the mids in the bass track ... but i could be wrong :/

if i could figure out how to get rid of that issue it'd be a huge step forward for me
so ANY help would be appreciated :)

some other recent mix :p
tried to get it a lil bit less muddy than the one i posted before

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome !! I think you nailed the Chango sound ^^
Can you post just the drums ? i'm really interested by the chango samples and i would like to hear their sound before buying it !!
Thanks in advance :)

@tommy evans: i'd say the most important thing of my guitar sound is my bass sound ;D
i also tried to run "the joey patch" without my modifications and in the mix you couldn't even really tell the difference, while the guitar track on its own sounded very different.

i know that mix is sounding pretty chango like
it's cuz i A/Bed my mix with his mixes to improve my sound and since a sound like that fits the music.
from the foundation i have now i will try to get my own sound ^^

@R.Kelsey: i'll try to have a snippet available for you later that day, so you can check out the drum sound

I did some reading on the Orange Tree bass samples but it said they were discontinued and only sell the "Cherry" samples. Is that what you used? Or did you buy the Orange Tree samples before they discontinued?

They're also Kontakt instruments which fucking blows. I hate kontakt :)