need some new plug-ins

hey guys, i was wondering are there any plug-ins you've been using a lot lately, besides any waves? Im just trying to find some new ones to try out, mostly some new eq's, comps, and verbs. right now i use wavse rcomp and rverb so i was wanting to know what else there is, i would like freeware but purchasing them may be an option as well. thanks

jordan

To be honest, I've tried out a range of plug-ins and I always seem to go back to the Waves Diamond Bundle in the end.

I don't know whether it's coz I'm so familiar with it, or the convenience of everything being in one pack, but it just feels so versatile. In particular I've always loved the GUI of the waves EQs. It's the customization and no overcomplification that really makes it win for me.

But, to give you a heads up on some alternatives, you may want to try out some of the URS stuff. I have the EQ pack, and whilst I've barely touched it (they try to model analogue, so it limits you virtually... never saw the point in that) some people say it pulls good sounds.

Consequently if you're running a TDM or HD rig, I'd suggest the Massemberg EQ. Most natural sounding plug-in EQ I've ever heard.

I use the Waves RComp most. I really love that thing. So easy to use and understand what's happening. I also really like the URS EQs. Haven't heard their compressors, but the EQs are superb. The FullTec is my favorite here.

I bought Sonalksis Comps and I never use them ... shame.

Oh, and favorite Reverb right now is the ArtsAcoustic Reverb (if you don't want to go the convolution route for its high processing demands).

I 2nd the URS stuff. I've only gotten the EQ's, but I love em' and use them exclusively now. Simple and nice looking GUI and great sound.

As for comps I love the Sonalksis SV-315 I believe it is. It can do the SSL type thing neatly..

Elemental Audio also makes some rather nice EQ's and Comps..

Charlie

if you can save the dosh, i'd say uad 1.
the 1176 plug in is the shiznit
cambridge eq is super sweet....
not to mention the neve eq..that is the nicest sweetest eq ive ever heard in a plug in yum

plus rverb sounds like arse

especially in comparison to the plate 140, tl space, or even d verb!

everything what the guys here said!! great plugs! its all about URS and sonalksis at the moment, realy good plug ins.

Next to that i sometimes find some realy good use for my Nomand Factory Bluetubes bundle.

greyskull said:
if you can save the dosh, i'd say uad 1.
the 1176 plug in is the shiznit
cambridge eq is super sweet....
not to mention the neve eq..that is the nicest sweetest eq ive ever heard in a plug in yum

plus rverb sounds like arse

especially in comparison to the plate 140, tl space, or even d verb!

I don't know what to make of the UAD. I compared it to a real 1176 in the studio and as you'd expect they sound nothing alike. The real version was way smoother.

I'll have to agree with Moonlapse that the Waves Diamond bundle is probably the most convenient and useful bundle of plug-ins I've ever had the pleasure of using. It's my main artillery for every session. However, lately I've been using some freeware plugs made by some guy that calls his "business" DigitalFishPhones. The Fish Fillets bundle is pretty damn useful, and just as good as any other three counterparts out there I'd say. The BlockFish is a great compressor, and even though I love the Waves RComp to-freakin'-death, the BF has given me the right kind of compression I've been looking for on my snare drums. The RComp is an indespensable compressor to have laying around, great for just about anything you put it on, but I haven't found the right settings with it (after a few years of using it) to get the comp I want like I get so easily with the BlockFish. Also, the SpitFish plug to get rid of sibilants on tongue-y vocalists works amazingly well, and again, a little easier to use than the Waves counterpart. The FloorFish is a great noise-gate that I've found many uses for, most notably for drums. In all honestly I'd rather use the Waves plug for that, but it's still useful to have laying around.

Also, the Waves SSL series is an amazing recreation of the SSL stuff. the first board I ever worked with professionally was an SSL9000. The best sounding board in the world, IMO. I've also traveled to a few studios around the US to do work for my old boss and had the opportunity to mix and record on Trident consoles. The first time I heard a snare through that SSL console, I almost died. Pretty much anything that goes through those pre's sounds amazing right off the bat. Anyway, the Waves SSL series EQ and Compressor alone are worth the cash.

The UAD-1 and PowerCore bundles are cool too, I haven't had the chance to use them personally, but people I trust have and I know if they say it's good, it is.

Ah yes, the good 'ol PSP Vintage Warmer. Another indespensable plug to have. I've used it many a times on vocals and drums. One thing to that though, and I learned this from my boss, you gotta bring your "A" game when you use that thing. It's very surgical, which is a good and bad thing. If you know what you're doing, you can get it going, if you're kinda lost...you'll get frustrated with it. That's just how I look at that plug though. It's probably one of the most extensive comp plugs out there, lotsa options on it. Still cool though, and really does add some analog style vibe to the tracks you put it on.

The Sony Oxford stuff is neat too...although I usually go right back to one of my Waves plugs instead...not a big difference in the Sony stuff, nothing to write home about or anything, nevertheless though, great plugs in their own right.

Also, if you have Digital Performer, the MasterWorks Comp, EQ, and Limiter are really great. I'll be honest again though, the MW-EQ is probably the only one I use out of the three. The MW-Comp and MW-Limiter don't get much use from me. I'd rather have an L2 and an RComp or BlockFish.

Typically, the first EQ I go for at the studio and at home, is the Waves Rennaissance Q-8 or Q-10. The first comp I go for is the BlockFish, and if it's just not cutting it, then switch to the RComp...and if that's still not working, definitely the Vintage Warmer. Especially on vocals, I grab the Vintage Warmer first on those. For bass guitar and kick drums (and sometimes toms) always the Waves Rennaissance Bass or MaxxBass.

Anyway, that's my rundown. :) After all that is said and done though I'd still rather be back on that SSL console with those channel strips, and have a lot less use for plug-ins. But hey...gotta go where we're happy, or at least I did.

~006

3 plugins i am hooked on right now are the waves ssl bundle wich i realllly love for drums right now. MH Channel strip as always and Drumagog pro. the waves ssl is really worth the money with the sound you get from it. i really wish i had some good reverb and delay plugs right now though...

edit: i tried the sonalksis SV-517 EQ and SV-315 Compressor recently for a while and loved them both. if i had an extra $400 laying around i would buy them for sure right now.

Moonlapse said:
I don't know what to make of the UAD. I compared it to a real 1176 in the studio and as you'd expect they sound nothing alike. The real version was way smoother.

well thats as maybe, i mean we have two real ones down here, but the plug in is way more reliable in four button mode.

a real unit just does whatever it feels like on that day. both are good in there own way, i use the real 1176 on input for vocals and bass and things that need plenty of compression, and just use 4:1 and if it needs more i'll use the plug in during the mix, id rather stay on the side of safety and not overcompress things

this however rules..

1073_main.jpg

actually so does this
la-2a-plug-in-main.jpg

and this
1176LN-page.jpg

pultec-main.jpg

who am i kidding , they're all great