Need some Sneapster advice (possibly joining a band)

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
Sorry for the extreme length, I'm at a major fork in the road of life here and it's kind of hard to make this any more compact..

After filling in on bass for my friends' band when they were in town I kind of got that urge to play live again, as I was kind of expecting to. The problem is, they have a position open for me if I were to move back down to California and my brain keeps ping-ponging back and forth as to whether it would be a wise decision or not.

I'm going to try to list as many positive and negative things as I can think of that pertain to this situation.

Positive:

-I love music, obviously, or I wouldn't be here on this forum. I also love the feeling of playing live and how it has the effect of basically erasing shittiness from your life, even if only temporarily.

-I now realize how much I miss playing live, and being in a band and all (most?) of the stuff that goes with it.
-I've been going through phases of depression since leaving my band almost two years ago, and being in a band again would help with that I'm sure.

-The singer for the band is my old singer from my previous bands, and is basically my best friend, and I get along with the rest of the guys really well (we're all nerds).

-The band is signed to a small label, and although it's still struggling, it's quite a step up from joining just a local band with no support.

-They get a guarantee of $200 per show regardless of how many people show up, and do fairly well selling merch as well.

-The drummer has an amazing business mind and pretty much handles all the logistics, and he does it quite well, so I could basically focus on the music and not worry so much about business, which is what burned me out before.

-They have quite a few endorsements from companies like Dean guitars (they GAVE the drummer a brand new ddrum kit) EMG pickups (the guitarists get free sets of EMG's every year or some shit like that) and Krank amps (although I guess they're still expensive as fuck with whatever deal they have).

-They're entering the writing mode for their second album and are basically looking for some fresh input creatively (they don't want to make the same record that they already made), and I feel like I would have a lot to offer in that respect (I'm a riff writing motherfucker).

-While bass isn't my preffered instrument, I have taken more and more interest in it the past couple years after actually owning one and being able to play it all the time, and wouldn't be able to handle their guitar parts anyway (can't shred), and don't particularly like being a drummer (even though I love playing drums, go figure).

-They would want quite a bit of creative input from me, which is a must for me to be in a band

-I'm 27 and haven't the slightest idea of what I want to do with my life career wise other than play music, and this would pretty much be my last chance to pursue being in a metal band. If I pass it up, it would pretty much be time to throw in the towel and just go on cleaning beer fermentation tanks every night.

-This might sound lame, and I'm sure everyone here feels this way, but I feel like I was born to play music. I'm not good at anything else, and I don't have any education past a high school diploma. I've always felt like if I'm going to contribute anything to the world, it will be through music, and this might be my last chance to really achieve that.

-My Fiance is 110% supportive of the idea, and is totally behind me, even being aware of the hardships it would put us through when it comes to being away on tour. She also gets turned on seeing me onstage, and misses that, so who could complain about that?

-In the words of Robert De Niro, "If you don't go, you never know". If I pass on the opportunity, I'd always wonder "What if?"

Negative:

-I'm not particularly fond of the idea of moving back to where we left. It gets hot as fuck in the summertime, it's ugly as hell (I'm living next to the ocean right now, so there aren't many places that compare) it's smoggy, and is generally a lame town, plus there was quite a bit of drama surrounding my Fiance and I leaving (we basically ran away together, and going back home and running into the wrong people could prove a bit uncomfortable, haha).

-Finding a flexible job that will both pay the bills and allow me to tour will be a pain in the ass and perhaps even impossible with the economy how it is, especially given the long distance of the move.

-We'll undoubtedly have to share a place with roomates (most likely the singer and his girl) which while isn't necessarily bad, is kind of tough when you're used to being on your own.

-I need to get bass gear. I have nothing other than a bass, and even at that I would need a backup. I have a drumkit I can sell, but that would suck to see it go. I'd also hate to part with my Gibson SG, but I hardly ever play it anymore..

-Touring will surely put a strain on my relationship. I have yet to spend a night away from my fiance since we got together, and I'm still madly in love with her, so theres no telling how we'll deal with touring.

-I'm a pretty private guy, and I don't see how one can find privacy while on tour

-I'll miss the fuck out of this place. The weather sucks, but it never gets hot, and most of my family live up here now. It will be hard to leave my dad, and I'll miss the anonymity we have up here. Plus this is where my fiance and I started our relationship, so theres a ton of sentimental value attached to the area.

-My fiance and I would be leaving our only friends in Oregon basically alone (they're recent California transplants as well) and I'd feel pretty guilty about it. We're their only friends up here basically.

-I'm not primarily a bassist. I'm a guitar player. I use a pick, which is fine for metal and I actually preffer it for the style, but being just a bass player doing nothing extraordinary might be a blow to the ego a bit. Being able to write songs I'm sure would more than make up for it, but being "seen and not heard" as some may put it might be a bit lame. I've heard laymen talk about how you can't hear the bass on Chaosphere (WTF!?)

-The music and style of the band is quite a bit more mainstream than what I normally prefer. Kind of killswitchy and metalcorish, but still quite enjoyable to play. My hope is that I could put enough of a stamp on the newer material to kind of break away from that a bit, while still being accessible to most people.

-I come from a bit of a different mold than most of the other dudes musically. They're into a lot of bands I really don't care for, but I think I'm just a hard motherfucker to please. I kind of cringe a bit when they talk about Lamb of God or some similar band. I think that's mainly my issue though. I'd hopefully be infusing some Scar Symmetry / Meshuggah / Cannibal Corpse fanboy flavor in there.

-They have breakdowns, and actually use the term. :ill: Not that I particularly dislike breakdowns, but actually using the term? C'mon, man.

Thats all I can think of right now. Sorry for it being so long. Thanks to anyone who actually read it. Also sorry for all those ( )'s.

I would say not to...

It doesn't sound like your heart is in it 100% (hence the negative list)... and you also have to think about your fiance...

But if you choose to do it in the end, I wish you the best of luck! :kickass:

and yes, LA sucks...

edit: i just actually read that you fiance is 110% supportive. FUCKIN DO IT! Material things are replaceable... memories, not so much.

Holy shit man, tough decision.
Hmm, actually give me some time to think about it, I will post my reply tomorrow, I can see this is a very difficult situation you are in.

I'm sure some other guys will be able to chime in too :D

Keep in mind that we can only speak for ourselves and that you are the only one that knows this shit better than all of us together.

It is a somewhat typical dilemma you are describing, something between rationality, reason and emotion.

I'll be back :heh:

-The music and style of the band is quite a bit more mainstream than what I normally prefer. Kind of killswitchy and metalcorish, but still quite enjoyable to play. My hope is that I could put enough of a stamp on the newer material to kind of break away from that a bit, while still being accessible to most people.

-I come from a bit of a different mold than most of the other dudes musically. They're into a lot of bands I really don't care for, but I think I'm just a hard motherfucker to please. I kind of cringe a bit when they talk about Lamb of God or some similar band. I think that's mainly my issue though. I'd hopefully be infusing some Scar Symmetry / Meshuggah / Cannibal Corpse fanboy flavor in there.

-They have breakdowns, and actually use the term. :ill: Not that I particularly dislike breakdowns, but actually using the term? C'mon, man.

FWIW, those are instant pass marks for me, regardless of anything else!

Go for it dude.

Your soon to be wifey is behind you that's all you need.

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE. I'm serious.

You can move anytime you want, but opportunity presents itself, grab it by the tits and shake that motherfucker till the gumball pops out.

Like you said it's one of your last chances. It's maybe a risk for your life and your relationship, but with all due respect, you deserve way better than your job at the factory. Even it's ok for now, as the time will flow it will start to grow in your ass (if you allow me the expression). As we've seen during the Forced Evolution vocals session, you're a hell of a dude and like you said music is your thing. You kept talking about how you missed to play in a band since you arrived on the forum.

GO FOR IT.

You might have a chance most of us will never have. About the music not being your thing and playing bass, think about it as a opportunity to meet new people and in the end do your thing, in the next few years maybe. You're still very very young.

FYI I am 25 this year. I graduted in Engineering 3 years ago, work a bit more than 2 in a random company. In the beginning you can handle it, you try to be someone else, but after a while it's just sickening to do something else than music and sitting in an office 8hours/day I am about to quit to start studying in Holland in september. Big change for me too.

Keep thinking about it, the idea will evolve, soon you'll know what to do.

-I'm 27 and haven't the slightest idea of what I want to do with my life career wise other than play music, and this would pretty much be my last chance to pursue being in a metal band. If I pass it up, it would pretty much be time to throw in the towel and just go on cleaning beer fermentation tanks every night.

What else is there to say? They have break-downs? pffft! Invent a new word! :p

And I don't know what kind of touring we're talking about here. 2 weeks on the west coast or 6 months overseas? If the fiance is so cool, maybe make her a roadie? :p

Cleaning beer fermentation tanks... every night. Or make a crowd go wild and the fiance horny? :p hmm, tough choice? :p

The friends who also recently moved from California, would they let go of a dream because of you? I would not bet on it.

I have a feeling refusing this offer might create big regrets around the 40 years old and no one wants that. Especially the fiance I would say. Make her horny! :p hehe you're lucky.

However, the sea! But the sea will still be there after all the touring. The touring has a time limit. The sea does not.

The sea where he said he lives near was a down point. But what I meant is that he can enjoy the sea until he is like 110 years old. Touring: no.

I'm not particularly fond of the idea of moving back to where we left. It gets hot as fuck in the summertime, it's ugly as hell (I'm living next to the ocean right now, so there aren't many places that compare) it's smoggy, and is generally a lame town, plus there was quite a bit of drama surrounding my Fiance and I leaving (we basically ran away together, and going back home and running into the wrong people could prove a bit uncomfortable, haha).

Damn you guys all make really really good points! I love you all, haha. Basically I'm leaning on the "if you don't go you never know" thing, and damn I love getting the fuck down on stage, so if I can pull off the whole logistical thing with moving and finding a job, I think I may have to give it a shot!

In the end though I think it really depends on how my fiance feels in the long run. She's excited about it now, but if her support ever wavers I don't think I'd be able to do it. I love that girl more than life itself, so I'm constantly checking with her to make sure she's still 110% for it, regardless of how I feel. Her just going for it to make me happy wouldn't cut it for me. Damn I must sound lame, haha.

Haha, i was confused too, but i think Better Left Unsaid is the name of the band.
http://www.myspace.com/blumusic

Yea thats them. Not really fond of the name, but hey, its just a name, and the mainstream-ness is still a bit weird to me, being so used to making brootalz and whatnot, but they're a cool group of dudes and are fun to be around, and the music is fun to play.

I wish I could pull it off without relocating. They're kind of a family kind of group. They like to hang out and have b-b-q's and stuff like that, so they're looking for kind of a new family member who will be able to kick it on a regular basis.

I think "Better Left Unsaid" is a pretty cool name actually (eh plays generic metalcore and doesn't afraid of anything :D)