Neil Kernon on Meshuggah (with some Nevermore mention)

axepert

New Metal Member
Dec 13, 2002
www.mp3.com
Came across this post made by Neil K. and thought I'd share this with everyone :

This is how I describe Meshuggah. As opposed to bands like Cryptopsy, TIP. Spiral Architect etc. who play fast and furious (widdly widdly stuff), going from section to section without really locking into a set pattern for very long, Meshuggah concentrates on the groove. The drums and bass are often planted firmly in 4/4, while the guitars are often in very different times, like 7, 9, 11, or any number of other subdivisions that end up landing back on the one (the first beat of the bar). Because of this pretty unique quality, you can REALLY bang your head to Meshuggah. There are times when the drums play backwards (snare on 1 and 3, kick on 2 and 4 etc) for effect and variation, plus in the overall scheme of things with the guitars turning the rhythms around that's often mathematically how the whole "bigger picture" gets itself realigned again. There's loads of this type of subtlety in Meshuggah's material. A couple of my absolute favourites are DEI - track 2, and None - track 1 (the end section). They are both what I call a "mindfuck" because it really takes a lot to figure out who is doing what. It's simply very cleverly done, and while it isn't widdlywiddly soloing and shred, it might seem less complex, but in my opinion they are every bit as sophisticated. The fact that Thordendal can play all of these insane polyrhythms super tight while lying on his back spinning round in circles ( I have a video from the Metalfest in 1998 - their first ever US appearance - that shows this) simply floors me. I showed this video to Jeff Loomis when we were doing DNB and he simply couldn't believe his eyes. In fact he got really bummed out, and said he felt that Thordendal was simply in another league, and that he had no idea he was so good.

Well, I have immense regard for Loomis (and I'm also happy to have turned him and Pat O'Brien on to Meshuggah during POE also :) so for him to say that makes me feel that it's not just me that feels this band is way up there in terms of complexity and execution. I'm sure you have Sol Niger Within - if you don't have it, perhaps that will make you a believer :)

Plus you can groove to that too...