Kernon, Sneap, or Gray

Wavebreaker

Apollo Rises!!!!
Jul 28, 2003
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Considering the overall relative crappiness of EoR's production, I wanted to get opinions on Nevermore's production.

Personally, although I enjoyed Kernon's work on PoE and DNB, I think Sneap's work on DHiaDW resulted in Nevermore's best sounding album, as well as one of the best sounding metal albums I've ever heard.

Upon retrospect, Kernon's recordings sound sort of synthetic, particularly on guitars (clean and distorted), which is odd, because I think at least part of it was analogue... Still, his mixes were very well layered and clear, all the instruments were distinct and powerful.

Andy Sneap created power. The drums are monstrous, the guitars powerful and organic, and the voice was so full and lush and... (enter superlatives). Again, odd since he works all-digital. And the mix is classic sneap, layered while sounding simple, clear...

Now, Mr. Gray... I can' be certain, but I have the suspicion he was mixing with $5 computer speakers... No but seriously, I understand that Nevermore was on a tight budget and couldn't afford Sneap or Kernon, but this Gray guy is supposed to be a seasoned professional. And the result? The snare disappears sporadically, the cymbals are lost in the noise floor, the bass drums sound like cardboard boxes, the voices are thin and too often distorted, I forgot that tere was a bassist in the band...
Don't get me wrong, this is awesome material, everyone is at the top of their game (although I find some of Loomis's leads are lacking in melodicism), and Dane kicks ass, but it took me 6 listens to understand what was going on in some songs!

End of rant. Who Decides is one of their best songs to date

Reactions: Nevermorian
I thought so, too. (Who Decides.)

I preferred Kernon, but I would be just as happy with Sneap. Dude, maybe they can get Frederik Nordstrom if they travelled to Sweden, hmm? Haha.

sneap. I agree that it sucks my dog's cock that the production is mediocre at best, as these songs are incredibly layered and complex it's just hard to tell. And oh my fucking god if you listen closely Van is pummlling the motherfucker out of the kit but it never comes out in the production. If the production were up to scratch people would be sucking his cock as the best drummer around right now.

PiNkMaGGiT said:
sneap. I agree that it sucks my dog's cock that the production is mediocre at best, as these songs are incredibly layered and complex it's just hard to tell. And oh my fucking god if you listen closely Van is pummlling the motherfucker out of the kit but it never comes out in the production. If the production were up to scratch people would be sucking his cock as the best drummer around right now.

You sure like the word cock. :D

In defence of Kelly Gray...

I think Kelly has made a lot of great sounding albums, and is a good musician to boot. While I've still only heard mp3s of the new album, I wonder if the "blame" really should fall squarely on his shoulders. There are any number of reasons why an album can end up sounding less than perfect, and quite often these are out of the control and the hands of the people who actually spent all the time making the album itself.

Whatever the reason, it's all about the music in the end anyway right? Or at least it should be in my opinion..

:)

Neil K.

The production on EoR isn't terrible...I can handle it...but still. Some of the cymbals do sound like they are in another room but overall, I was happy with it.

Yeah Mr. NK(ernon) has a point. But you know the producer always gets all the blame for the sound of the album. But if it sounds great, they don't get all of the praise. It aint fair, and that's why I don't want to be a producer. :)

Oh yeah, the songs are all killer. I'm quite over my hangups on the production. The way WD ends "Tomorrow Turned into Yesterday" rocks by the way.

If the album does well, everyone looks good. If it doesn't, someone has to be blamed, right? I know I've done my fair share of albums that didn't sell as much as hoped, for one reason or another, and I don't remember ever being asked back after that happened :)

That's the breaks folks!

Neil K.

NK said:
In defence of Kelly Gray...

I think Kelly has made a lot of great sounding albums, and is a good musician to boot. While I've still only heard mp3s of the new album, I wonder if the "blame" really should fall squarely on his shoulders. There are any number of reasons why an album can end up sounding less than perfect, and quite often these are out of the control and the hands of the people who actually spent all the time making the album itself.

Whatever the reason, it's all about the music in the end anyway right? Or at least it should be in my opinion..

:)

Neil K.

True. The rough mixes prove the sound was there initially. It's the mastering that may have been a mistep.

NK is my vote. Clarity, depth, heart, layering.

Kernon obviously. Sneap's production was ok but the guitar sound didn't really do it for me whereas his work with kreator was brilliant.
As for Gray well let's just say he could have done something better. By the way, on Enemies Of reality (song) is Warrel using some sort of voice effect or is it just the equipment to blame?

Neil Kernon is a master of the crushing heavy sound. his deathmetal and grindcore production can cause physical trauma. Sneap has a very strong, specific sound and he's really good at what he does, but I don't think he was the ideal producer for Nevermore. I'd like to hear what Abyss Studios would do with Nevermore's sound. Neil gets my vote for most appropriate Nevermore producer.

personally I like kernon a whole lot

but sneap was great, he got the type of sound where you just HAD to make the record louder and louder

usually there's a limit for the other albums because distortion ruins it, or it just gets all fuzzy

unfortunately sneap was attributed to the least best nevermore record :/

aw well