Meshuggah

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I noticed that many people are suggesting Metal bands for Nevermore to tour with. My suggestion is Meshuggah, and I have many reasons for this pick.
First, Meshuggah is scheduled to play 2nd stage at ozzfest this year. Hopefully the attention from ozzfest coupled with meshuggah's name being mentioned on the Osbournes will greatly increase meshuggah's drawing power, and thus bring more fans to experience nevermore.
Second, Meshuggah would draw many guitar and drum afficionado's. I know I heard about them from a jazz guitarist five years ago, and I know many musicians who have listened to Meshuggah.
Third, Loomis is a huge fan, and many of his riffs have a meshuggah like structure, touring with meshuggah might actually give loomis more ideas.
Fourth, Meshuggah is the heaviest band I think I have ever heard, and they have not sold out.
SO what does everyone else think, would meshuggah be a good choice?

I heard a few songs, didn't really care for them

but, as I understand it, their *strategy* (at present) involves them touring w/ acts whose draws are much larger than their own. Given they've toured 1,500+ w/ Slayer and are now doing the Ozzfest tour in the States, who the fuck would want to go back to 750 and under venues?

It's a nice thought, though, and I agree -- I hear some Meshuggah-influence in DHIADW.

Can anybody explain the polyrhythemic way the guitars are played in Meshuggah?, I am a drummer and I honestly am rather limited in my guitar knowledge.

I'm pretty sure i remember reading an interview with Loomis where he was asked who he'd like to tour with, and he said Meshuggah, but i could be thinking of someone else

Originally posted by speed
Can anybody explain the polyrhythemic way the guitars are played in Meshuggah?, I am a drummer and I honestly am rather limited in my guitar knowledge.

Do you know about polyrhythmics at all?
Haake's hands basically plays 4/4 while the kick follows the guitar riff. An exampel could be the verse riff in New Millenium Cyanide Christ.

24/16 ||0-1-0-2==0--0--0-1-0-2==0=0---|| 2x
16/16 ||0-1-0-2==0=0=0-1-0-2==||

that is 24/16 2x then 16/16 to fit a 4/4 pattern.
The kick follows the rhythm above while the hands (hi-hat, snare) plays 4/4.