Neil Peart

Is Neil Peart that good?

• Yes

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
I'm not a drummer, but from what I've heard Peart is definitely one helluva drummer. He may not be a Donati in terms of chops, but the ideas/consistency/awesome is DEFINITELY there.

As for best drummer, my vote goes to Vinnie Colaiuta :loco:

Well, normally solos don't attract me that much (There are a few notable exceptions, some kick ass solos, but those normally aren't of drums alone, the rythm line keeps playing and the drums improvise/solo over it, just like any other instrument). My point is that he is way overrated because he was one of the first famous drummers that were good, and thus is recognized by lots of people like 'the one', just because he influenced many people, and he was basically the only good drummer you could hear on the radios back then.

He's awesome...not the greatest of alltime...but along with Bill Bruford he invented progressive rock drumming....debating who is better than who is pointless but these two players have had a huge influence on how guys like Portnoy, Zonder, Rullo approach their drumming....and Donati is a freak.

ElPredicador said:
My point is that he is way overrated because he was one of the first famous drummers that were good
Not really. Guys like Bill Bruford, Keith Moon or Cream´s Ginger Baker were known earlier.
Velocity said:
His drumming on the earlier Rush albums is groundbreaking!
As is his work on the poppy 80s album such as "Hold your Fire" (which has unbelievably awesome bass work as well!), like PMF said.

HOLY CRAP ... i just bought Thomas Lang's instructional DVD *creative concepts*. if you think you've heard technical drumming, well, you probably have. but thomas lang eats donati for breakfast. ALL***** drummers out there NEED this DVD. ...i dont even think Peart compares with Lang. beware of the austrian accent thought :cool:. jokes aside, everyone needs to check him out, no excuses. you'll be amazedx10.

v01c354nd51gn5 said:
HOLY CRAP ... i just bought Thomas Lang's instructional DVD *creative concepts*. if you think you've heard technical drumming, well, you probably have. but thomas lang eats donati for breakfast. ALL***** drummers out there NEED this DVD. ...i dont even think Peart compares with Lang. beware of the austrian accent thought :cool:. jokes aside, everyone needs to check him out, no excuses. you'll be amazedx10.

He is totally sick, he puts Virgil Donati on the rack, but I'm not sure he eats him for breakfast! :Spin:

Here are some previews from the video, awesome!

http://hudsonmusic.com/QuickTime/LANG/LANGQT.html

Connauch said:
Peart delivers consistently, which I really dig. While he isn't a tech player who's all over the place, he knows what sounds good and performs it well.
Exactly. :) Obviously, I'm a bit biased (har har), but that's what I think makes Neil a great musician. And if you like Peart, you might want to check out the band Ice Age. Hal Aponte is heavily influenced by Peart and it really shows in his playing. http://www.ice-age.com

~Christina

It's a shame Hal doesn't drum for Ice Age anymore, I'm worried for their new direction because they are one of my favourite bands.

As a drummer I must say I hate it when non-drummers say certain drummers are overrated, even Lars Ulrich is better than they could ever dream to be.

Peart is a fantastic drummer, his drive and energy are part and parcel of the Rush chemistry, defiantly one of all time great rock drummers.

As for other great drummers Thomas Lang, Marco Minnimann (sick) and the undisputed all time greatest drummer Buddy Rich.

Alexander TG said:
As a drummer I must say I hate it when non-drummers say certain drummers are overrated, even Lars Ulrich is better than they could ever dream to be.

Peart is a fantastic drummer, his drive and energy are part and parcel of the Rush chemistry, defiantly one of all time great rock drummers.
Why can't I get understood??!?!?!:erk:
I am not saying Peart is a bad drummer or anything near it. He is indeed a good player, but what I'm saying is that all the people talk about him as the drum god that in my opinion he isn't. I repeat, he IS a good drummer, but is overrated anyway.

And about the thing of non drummers saying certain drummers are overrated, you don't have to be drummer to understand drums, as you don't need to be an engineer or a mechanic or a professional driver (ie no day job) to say some cars are good or bad. All you need is a bit of observation, and to listen a lot of music (or drums in this case).

ElPredicador said:
Why can't I get understood??!?!?!:erk:
I am not saying Peart is a bad drummer or anything near it. He is indeed a good player, but what I'm saying is that all the people talk about him as the drum god that in my opinion he isn't.
He is. You better believe it.:p

has anyone played the Sabian Neil Peart signature 22" Paragon Ride? im looking for a new sabian ride cymbal and you would think that a neil peart signature ride would "put every other ride on the rack." thanks.

The Stormbringer said:
No, sadly. Holland is a tad far for a guy without a car living in the remote south-west of Germany (not far from the French and Luxemburgian border). ;)
That's too bad :(

But... Since they are from Munchen you still have a chance too see them.