Top 5 Drummers: your all-time list

5. Terry Bozzio (Solo artist) - Hes a killer drummer, don't know how well i;d really like him in a band situation thoguh. amazing at what he does.

4. Danny Carey (Tool) - A stereotypical pick (as are all of these :p) but Carey is very tastefu land stil ltechnical. awesome stuff.

3. Neil Peart (Rush) - Rush kicks ass, and hes just the cherry o ntop. I love the xylophone type stuff too.

2. Richard Christy (Iced Earth, EX-Death/Control Denied) - LISTEN TO DEATHS "the sound of perseverance" album to find out!!!!

1. Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) - the man needs no introduction.

I'm late, but I wanted to add my grain of sand on this thread. I haven't checked out every single message on this thread, but I think nobody named Dave Weckl in their top five. This jazz-fussion drummer is absolutely astonishing.

As for the rest, the winner seems to be Mike Portnoy, who dwells into every living heart, here. And I do agree, he's great. :)

|ngenius.

1. Raymond Herrera(Fear Factory/Brujeria)-Most devastating double-kick work I have ever heard, plus, him and the guitarist are so tight, it's unbelievable. He does the drummer's job, and never goes overboard.

2. Flo Mounier(Cryptopsy)-Listen to his blastbeats. This guy's playing jazz...at 480bpm.

3. Mike Portnoy(Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment)-Anyone who can memorize a Change Of Seasons or 6 Degrees Of Inner Turbulence on drums is amazing in my book.

4. Richard Christy(Death, Control Denied, Iced Earth)-Mike Portnoy with faster double kick and slightly more creativity. IE really limits his style, but with Death he was great.

5. Igor Cavalera(Sepultura)-The master of tribal beats, and he can play thrash on top of that. He was outdoing Lombardo and Benante at age 16.

I'm a drummer myself too, and I don't know anything about other drummers lol. Okay, that's stupid.
Anyway, Mike Portnoy is amazing. I realy like the Finally Free solo of him on the Live Scenes From New York album.
But Jason Rullo is better IMO. He does very creative things on the drums and he's really fast.
Ed Warby is great too. Everything he does, he plays it on the right moment.
Finally someone who mentioned Raymond Herrera. :D I never heard someone playing the double bass as fast as he can.
Besides these drummers I also like Virgil Donati, Nicko McBrain and Terry Bozzio.
and Lars Ulrich... :puke:

Cyclopssss said:
Billy Cobham
Trilok Gurtu
Jerome Braily
Tyrone Lampkins
Norm Leggio (Psychotic Waltz)
Hell fuckin yeah Cyclopssss, Billy fuckin Cobham. I was wonderin when someone was gonna dig this thread outta its good metal drummer hole. ne ways, heres my list

1.Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orchestra, various other projects)
2.Jimmy Chamberlain (Pumpkins, solid as a fuckin rock)
3.Tomas Haake (Messhugah)
4.Tobias Ralph (KIF, others)
5.Mike Portnoy (DT, others)

my favorites:

Mike Portnoy
Neil Peart
Jaska Raatikainen
Richard Christy
Flo Mounier
Chris Kontos
Tomas Haake
Nick Barker