Top 5 Drummers: your all-time list

Strychnos

UA Agent FROM HELL
Jun 21, 2003
Marikina City, Philippines
Surely you guys have skinsmen that you revere. I know I do. Here's my list:

5. Jan Rechberger(Amorphis)

--Been a fan of him since "Tales of the Thousand Lakes". Even though Amorphis today is more progressive then death metal, he has adapted and refined his craft considerably.

4. Tomas Haake(Meshuggah)

--His tempo leaves me in a real dizzy spell. He's one of the reasons why I listen to Meshuggah.

3. Mike Portnoy(Dream Theater)

--When he first came out, he was called "The Next Neil Peart". With his experiments in rhythm and bombast, I knew why he was awarded with that moniker.

2. Jason Rullo(Symphony X)

--Speaking of rhythm, I find it hard not to like Rullo's playing style. He is such a blast to listen to live.

1. Neil Peart(Rush)

--I have to admit I'm biased, but this guy is my god. He's one of the first drummers I've listened to and the way he plays still has me in a stranglehold to this day.

5 Tom Walling :cool:

4 Casey Grillo :)
zombie.gif

3 Jason Rullo
headbob.gif
hypnotized.gif

2 Alan White
goggly.gif
anim-jjd.gif

1 Carl Palmer
bowdown.gif
jump3.gif

I'm a guitar player (used to be anyway), but these are my top 5 drummers

Scott Rockenfield
Nicko McBrain
Mark Zonder
Dave Lombardo
Jason Rullo

then Peart.

1. Mark Zonder (Fates Warning)
2. John Macaluso (ARK)
3. Mike Guy (Zero Hour)
4. Paul Craddick (ex-Enchant)
5. Jason Rullo (for his work on "V")

1.- VIRGIL DONATI - total freek, monster, genius
2 - Mike Portnoy
3 - Jason Rullo
4 - Thomas Lejon (listen to his work in Encyclopedia)
5- Aseiger (the guy from Spiral Architect)

Oh yeah know were talking,

1) Neil Peart - GOD. He is my natural comparison as I myself aim to be a drummer/lyricist, Neil is on a higher plane compared to 99% of drummers. As a rock drummer Neil's rhythm, drive, complexity, simplicity is unmatched. His ultimate skill is being able to fully serve music in a melodic sense without over-playing yet still producing flashes of jaw dropping magic. Not only a great drummer but a great guy to, god bless ya Neil.

2) Bill Bruford - Mr. Effortless, renowned for his complex, driving rhythms and a real pioneer in the art-rock world with his work with yes and King Crimson. At heart a proficient jazz drummer with rock stylings. I was lucky enough to see him when his jazz band Earthworks came to my home town a few months ago, front row, I was blown away. He is so naturalistic it's untrue, he played his bollocks off a barely broke a sweat.

3) Nicko McBrain - The first drummer I ever really studied when his band Iron Maiden shot me into the world of music, my life changed forever. One of the best metal drummers ever and he really plays with his heart, great drive and unbelievable with a single kick to the point where many believe he uses a double.

4) Alan White - Another Yes drummer to whom I will have the pleasure of seeing when Yes play Hammersmith on Tuesday, yees. Energetic and a real driving force I love his intricate work on the snare and when you watch him you can see he really loves what he is doing.

5) Jason Rullo - Admittedly I'm not a fan of Symphony X's drum production which is far too weak at times but with Rullo at the helm Symphony have a great drummer with superb technical skill. Jason is never guilty of over-playing and is very sparse with the double kicks.

Macy said:
...Jeff Porcaro...

Macy, I admired Jeff's style more than anyone. He learned from his Dad and understood so much more than anyone else. I still am upset about his passing. :yell:

After seeing Rullo live, he impressed me so much. His stamina is unbelievable. The mixing and production on their CDs could be so much better tho.

Here is my list

1. Mike Portnoy(Dream Theater)
2. Neal Peart (Rush)
3. Jason Rullo (Sym X)
4. Jorg Michael(Stratovarius)
5. Danny Carey(Tool)

the list above is quite good, but not perfect....i would change this....

Jason Rullo - SX
Neil Peart - rush
mike portnoy - Dream theater
Hellhammer
Richard Christy - death

that's a list!