Networking Two Computers for Simultaneous Recording/Editing

blueax

Jul 17, 2009
Michigan
www.myspace.com
Wondering if anyone here has done this or knows a good way to do it.

I'll be building a new studio this coming summer and my workload is enough that I'd like to be able to be recording a project on one computer (or editing a project), while someone in another room nearby can be editing other previous projects on another computer.

I'm not really too familiar with networking computers together, at least in this instance, but I guess I'm interested in the possibility of direct access to files, fast enough to be doing editing and etc. and not having to do a bunch of transferring back and forth between computers first, just having some sort of common hard drive the files are being accessed from (if this is possible).

Any info or starting point would be appreciated.

I would probably have a dedicated NAS or separate computer acting as a NAS. With Gigabit ethernet, I get at least 45 MB/s, sometimes more. Even though it is rated at 100 MB/s there are other bottlenecks.

I am not sure I would track directly to it, but you could probably mix and edit. I haven't done it but I will give it a try this weekend on mine at home.

I use it mainly for backup, archiving, and such. I just make a quick copy for editing. Then copy it back. But at least it is a central place rather than external hard drives.

You can also use eSATA drives. Just as fast as SATA so you can work directly on them. Just get a few of them so the projects stay on the drives. Then labeling and organization will become they key to those.

So if I got external eSata drives-- I know I have an eSata port or two in the back of this personal comp, I'm sure I do on my main mixing comp as well-- I could just plug in in the style of a firewire or USB HDD, record to that, unplug and plug into the "editing" computer, and take it from there? That actually seems to be probably the best solution if it's as fast as sata right?

Yep. The only thing is that not all motherboards support hot-plugging. So you may have to reboot on plug/unplug.

I have also found that chipsets are important, and some drives work better than others. It is similar to Firwire drives needing the Oxford 911 chipset. For instance I had a LaCie drive that sucked. Since I needed reliability, I decided to go with the G-Drives suggested by Steinberg, it wasn't too much more expensive. It has been extremely solid. I haven't done more research on it since then.

And just like an internal drive, make sure to get 7200RPM, largest buffer you can, and backup, backup, backup. Hard drives are a lot less reliable these days. I have some 9 year-old drives that rock. I have had several only last a few months recently. All brands, replaced under warranty, but still very frustrating.

Thanks for all the info! I realized I actually have a USB 3.0 external harddrive, and I have been experimenting-- I just threw a USB 3.0 pci-e card in my computer that needed it and it looks like it's fast enough to do what I need it to do! I'm going to try to iron out some issues between switching projects between two computers, though, as far as plug-in compatibility and such. Thanks again!