neuman + telfunken = poop. need some serius processing tips

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
i got really awfull result from recording vocals with a neuman (dont remember the model) and a telfunken preamp. the preamp is 8dbu i think so its getting distorted really fast. anyway, vox sounds like crap. i will really use some serious tips on how to tame this boxiness/fiziness.

http://min.us/mbkzoWaHLH

thanks guys

I'd re-track. You aren't going to have a lot of luck un-distorting them which is the major issue. I'd also be careful blaming the gear since it sounds like a gain staging issue that could have been addressed with settings or an inline pad.

sounds like it needs a compressor in the chain along with a slight bit of eq. there is also choosing the right mic for the person, i've heard people sound better on a sm7 rather than a U47, it just suited them somehow and required the most minimal of eq. also how loud is she singing? if she has a voice like a jet engine you may need to mic with a dynamic also, pull the condensor back and blend the two to keep from distorting the diaphram of the condesor.

i've tried Compressing and Eqing out the boxiness, by reducing at around 500-1k but thenit becomes really harsh, no air at all. just like someone punch you in the face..
its really strange because there was no clipping in the protools window at all, it's like distorting somewhere in the chain, but comes in at good level. i've heard that those old pre's are +8 dbu which may cause those problems.

so if i retrack, i can use maybe a 58 and the newman, but wont it make phasing problems? i would also like to track without that boxiness, i really dont understbad what cause it, we kept a reasonable 5 inch distance from microphone, used it on cardoid, and of course in a well treated room..

I think its almost impossible to fix the distortion on this track. I suggest re-recording this.
There are some things that could be distorting: The mic capsule (if she is singing more than 116 db, witch is almost impossible), too close to the mic, the telefunken (too much gain?).
I asked if there were a comp in the chain because sometimes it distorts the sound.

What type of room was the vocalist in? Was there any treatment to the walls? A Neumann is a sensitive mic that can pick everything up, including trapped frequencies. The room itself could be causing some boxiness. Also, have you ever changed the tubes in the preamp? Maybe the tubes have no life left in them.

haha yea its hebrew :).

ok it was reocrded in a small room (3 X 5) meters maybe, all treated to be as dry as possible..
its a distortion, its not the vocal style, i have many problems with the neumann distorting a bit.. i dont know about the tubes though, i am not sure its tubes actually, i think its transistors.. its not mine so icant do anything to iy :(

maybe i will just track with another pre..

have you gone though your chain on element at a time to see what is distorting? i would recommend bypassing everything but the pre and going through it. if it's coming direct from the telefunken it may be a tube issue in the mic or the pre (assuming they are both tube units). I might be deaf, but i dont hear the distortion, i do hear the hhhhuchhhh, but that is commonly used sound in that language.

sounds fucking stellar to me. i think with a bit of 1176-style compression, a slight high-shelf with let's say, some kind of Pultec Plug and a CLEAN EQ to notch out just a but if the midrange and you'd be SET.

this sounds like a vocal that would sit in the mix like a fucking GLOVE.

ME LIKEY. =D

you can try and repair the distortion with izotope rx declipper. it works really well especially if it isn't heavily distorted

Have you tried pulling the vocal back a few db's? I think it would sit quite well if it wasn't so loud

i can give it a try.. i felt for some reason that when pulling them back they get burried by the guitars and drums..

It may take a bit of work/time but try automating only the phlegmy accent parts down a couple DB's ( sorry, I don't know how to describe that sound that is in the Hebrew language) to me that is the only thing that sounds like it's jumping out or harsh. I wouldn't even call it harsh more like distracting. If those sit back a bit it might make the vocals sound softer without getting lost in the mix.

It may take a bit of work/time but try automating only the phlegmy accent parts down a couple DB's ( sorry, I don't know how to describe that sound that is in the Hebrew language) to me that is the only thing that sounds like it's jumping out or harsh. I wouldn't even call it harsh more like distracting. If those sit back a bit it might make the vocals sound softer without getting lost in the mix.

i am not sure what you mean by phlemgy accent.. haha, is that that "throat" sound?